Physics and EE program question

In summary, this program looks like it would be a lot of work, but it is a great opportunity if you want to go into a physics or EE heavy field.
CrunchBerries
http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/info/regist/calendars/programs/1564.html

I am looking at this program and it looks awesome. However looking at year #2, it looks pretty brutal from my newb perspective..

My question is; is this as brutal as I think it is, or is this program putting courses together in a way where they synergise where one course helps with another?

If i were to take this it really looks like I would have no time for anything other than school lol.. Its hard to pick between physics and EE...

Yes, they do synergize. Quantum, Signals, Random Signals and Stat.Thermo have a lot in common as do Circuit Theory and Mechanics. Essentially it is the same Math applied to different physical processes. It will be brutal though doable. Make sure your math is strong as you will be using it a lot from year three on.

The thing with a double major is that it really doesn't leave a lot of room for other options. For some people this is perfect, because given the choice, those would be the courses they would take anyway. Other need to switch gears and take a non-STEM course for one of five each semester. The trouble is when you're not sure which one you are. The only real proving ground is experience.

If this looks like the program you really want to do, it's not unreasonable. It looks like you would overload for one semester in your second year though. This is fine, but remember that you'll have roughly 20% more assignments, mid-terms, reading material etc. than the average student at your school. Of course that will be tough. But lots of people manage to do this quite successfully.

I did a similar program. If you want to go into any of the physics heavy EE fields (such as solid state electronics or electromagnetics) it is a perfect combination. Physics and EE complement each other quite nicely. However, it does take an extra year that could be spent working on a masters instead.

But it looks like a great program with a lot of good electives to choose from.

Wow thanks for the answers guys, this is what i was hoping for. I am definitely going to give this program a second look.

What is the difference between physics and electrical engineering?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It focuses on understanding the fundamental principles of the universe and how things work. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, deals with the practical application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves designing, developing, and testing electrical systems and devices.

What are some career options for those with a degree in physics or electrical engineering?

There are many career options for individuals with degrees in physics or electrical engineering. Some common career paths include research scientist, engineer, technical consultant, data analyst, and educator. These degrees can also open up opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, energy, healthcare, and aerospace.

Do I need to be good at math to study physics or electrical engineering?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is essential for studying physics and electrical engineering. These fields rely heavily on mathematical concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can improve their math skills and succeed in these areas.

What skills are necessary to be successful in a physics or electrical engineering program?

To be successful in a physics or electrical engineering program, it is important to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. You should also have a solid understanding of math and be able to think critically and creatively. Good communication and teamwork skills are also beneficial in these fields.

Is it possible to switch from a physics to an electrical engineering program (or vice versa)?

Yes, it is possible to switch between these two programs. While they have different focuses, there is some overlap in coursework, and many universities allow students to transfer credits between programs. It is best to speak with an academic advisor if you are considering switching programs to ensure a smooth transition.