Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and Math Major

1. Aug 4, 2004 #1
    I don't know where to post this so sorry if wrong spot.

But wanted to see how long it takes if anyone has gotten a double major in math and phys.

And even better PHD IN Both, take a insane person to do that, insane like me, but thats long way off, just thought if i fould that type of person that could answer few questions for me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2004 #2
    any takers??? I know one of yall out there has both of these.
  4. Aug 4, 2004 #3
    I had a double major im math and physics. It took the same amount of time. There is so much math in physics that if you take math courses for those courses where you can take anything, then it takes the same amount of time, at least at the college I went to.

5. Aug 4, 2004 #4

how did the math affect your physics.. did it connect ideas, give more insight and application to physics problems and phenomena.

Are you going grad school and if you for which phys or math??
  6. Aug 5, 2004 #5
    During undergrad, I had the following experience:
    I took the advanced physics courses without taking some of the staple math courses, specifically differential equations and boundary value problems. I understood all the concepts with a little extra homework. I was amused to find that when I did take the math courses, they involved the same concepts I was already using, but in a more abstract form. All the extra stuff I learned in the math courses were proofs and derivations of the stuff I was already using. Personally I find the math very interesting, but it was not necessary for understanding physics. If you encounter a topic which confuses you I would find another physics book which might possibly expain things from a different light. Also, if your physics books are anything like mine were, they will contain a short but sufficient derivation of all the math in the first (or zeroth) chapter. Just read and understand what is there, even if it takes you several readings.

As for the Physics and Math Ph.D. Richard Feynman once said:

"Physics is to Math what Sex is to Masturbation" :biggrin:
  7. Aug 5, 2004 #6
    very nicely put, and that helps thanx
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?