Double Major in Math & Physics: Advice from an Insane Person

In summary, a person is wondering if anyone has achieved a double major in math and physics, and even a PhD in both fields. They are seeking advice and knowledge from someone who may have done so. Another person shares their experience of having a double major in math and physics during their undergraduate studies and how the two subjects are closely related. They also mention that while math is interesting, it is not necessary for understanding physics. The conversation ends with a quote by Richard Feynman comparing physics to math.
woodysooner
I don't know where to post this so sorry if wrong spot.

But wanted to see how long it takes if anyone has gotten a double major in math and phys.

And even better PHD IN Both, take a insane person to do that, insane like me, but that's long way off, just thought if i fould that type of person that could answer few questions for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
any takers? I know one of yall out there has both of these.

woodysooner said:
I don't know where to post this so sorry if wrong spot.

But wanted to see how long it takes if anyone has gotten a double major in math and phys.

I had a double major I am math and physics. It took the same amount of time. There is so much math in physics that if you take math courses for those courses where you can take anything, then it takes the same amount of time, at least at the college I went to.

Pete

awesome!

how did the math affect your physics.. did it connect ideas, give more insight and application to physics problems and phenomena.

Are you going grad school and if you for which phys or math??

During undergrad, I had the following experience:
I took the advanced physics courses without taking some of the staple math courses, specifically differential equations and boundary value problems. I understood all the concepts with a little extra homework. I was amused to find that when I did take the math courses, they involved the same concepts I was already using, but in a more abstract form. All the extra stuff I learned in the math courses were proofs and derivations of the stuff I was already using. Personally I find the math very interesting, but it was not necessary for understanding physics. If you encounter a topic which confuses you I would find another physics book which might possibly expain things from a different light. Also, if your physics books are anything like mine were, they will contain a short but sufficient derivation of all the math in the first (or zeroth) chapter. Just read and understand what is there, even if it takes you several readings.

As for the Physics and Math Ph.D. Richard Feynman once said:

"Physics is to Math what Sex is to Masturbation" :biggrin:

very nicely put, and that helps thanx

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in Math and Physics?

There are several benefits to pursuing a double major in Math and Physics. First, both subjects involve problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are highly valued in many industries. Additionally, having a strong understanding of both math and physics can open up career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, and data analysis.

2. Is it difficult to complete a double major in Math and Physics?

Yes, pursuing a double major in Math and Physics is a challenging and time-consuming endeavor. Both subjects require a significant amount of coursework and involve complex concepts. It is essential to have a strong passion for both subjects and be willing to put in the necessary effort and dedication to succeed.

3. Can I still graduate in four years with a double major in Math and Physics?

It is possible to graduate in four years with a double major in Math and Physics, but it may require careful planning and taking a heavier course load. It is essential to work closely with academic advisors to ensure that all course requirements are met and to avoid any potential scheduling conflicts.

4. What skills do I need to excel in a double major in Math and Physics?

To excel in a double major in Math and Physics, you will need to have a strong foundation in math and a deep interest in physics. It is also crucial to have excellent problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and attention to detail. Time management and organization skills are also essential to handle the workload effectively.

5. Are there any tips for balancing a double major in Math and Physics?

Balancing a double major in Math and Physics can be challenging, but there are a few tips that can help. First, prioritize your coursework and create a study schedule to ensure that you are dedicating enough time to each subject. It is also helpful to take advantage of resources such as tutoring and study groups. Finally, don't forget to take breaks and make time for self-care to avoid burnout.