1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and math proofs

1. Apr 3, 2005 #1
    hello everyone.

i was once a math major until i got a bit taste of what upper div math is like. proofs! cant say that i like it at all. i guess im the type of guys who cant do proofs whatsoever. currently taking linear algebra, struggling a bit.

so sometime ago, i changed my major to physics, which is really interesting, like when i was taking calculus. but i read the threads on the board and realized that a lot of people seem to suggest that a physics major should be able to do math proofs as well, and it is essential. i would like your opinion on that becaz if that were true, i am screwed :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2005 #2
    It is possible that you will grow to like the taste of proofs.

Physicists range from experimentalists who do not spend any time doing proofs to theoretical physicists who sometimes make contributions to pure math. I would say that proofs are an important part of physics.

If you can't get in to proving things, become an engineer. They use math for its own sake, and so they don't care where it comes from.

4. Apr 3, 2005 #3
    I agree with Crosson.. I remember a few years ago in geometry when I was still somewhat immature and I hated proofs. Now I have gotten to like them a little. I still am not quite used to them (haven't had much chance to use them from disuse) but they are growing on me.

Actually, it was linear algebra and number theory that got me to first starting to like proofs. They were intellectually challenging (if not outright difficult in some situations) and are a lot more gratifying than the standard plug-n-chug problems.

Now that I'm in calculus, I still can't quite understand all of the proofs yet, but i'm slowly trying to grasp them (its a slow process and cant expect it to come quickly or naturally).

Just use your logic when attempting the proofs, everything should be fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?