1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and Math textbooks

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    I am currently looking for suggestions on physics and maths textbooks. The math textbook must cover calculus from the beginning. It can cover multiple subjects, or calculus-only, it does not matter as long as it is clear and easy to understand. The physics textbook must cover high school subjects. Preferably it will continue to cover university-level subjects as well. If one book can not cover both levels of physics subjects, I would be grateful if you could leave suggestions for multiple textbooks which cover high school and university level subjects between them.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2
    Hi balmung2! Welcome to PF.

For physics :

Feynman lectures (the best)
    Fundamentals of Physics - Halliday Resnick(probably best suited for you)
    Conceptual Physics - Hewitt (quite less math requirement)

Math:
    First course in Calculus by Serge Lang (preferable)
    Stewart's Calculus

Once you have done one of these, do Calculus by Michael Spivak, or Tom Apostol.

4. Jun 22, 2012 #3
    Hey Balmung,

For physics text, I second Infinitum's suggestion of Feynman's Lectures. For math books I suggest you start off with:
    What is Mathematics - Richard Courant. This book covers a wide variety of subjects without losing depth in any.
    If you just want to learn calculus use Spivak's Calculus.
    I have to disagree with Infinitum's suggestion of Stewart's Calculus. The book does not motivate any discussions and does not convey why calculus works at all. It will only give you a superficial understanding of the material after you are through with it.

5. Jun 23, 2012 #4
    That's why I added a 'preferable' tag to Serge Lang's book, its way better. I think before you start out Spivak, unless you are quite good at math, you need to have a basic understanding of the subject, and Lang's book provides this quite perfectly.

Being a high school student, like the OP, I learnt the calculus basics from Stewart before switching to Spivak, and now, though I absolutely hate Stewart, I find the things I learnt assisting me through Spivak's book, but maybe that's just me....:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook