Solve Physics/Math Homework: x & y Variables

In summary, the problem is to determine which variables to plot in order to create a straight line passing through the origin, based on the given non-linear functions (a) y2= Ax3, (b) y3 = A √ x, (c) y2 = A/x, and (d) yx2 = A. The suggestion is to create new variables X and Y, which are functions of x and y, and plot Y against X.
Oscar Zarate

Homework Statement

You have the data of two measured variables x and y. According to a theory the variables relate to each other as the non-linear functions shown below where A is a constant. For each case, decide which variables you have to choose to plot so the expected graph is a straight line that passes through the origin.

Homework Equations

(a) y2= Ax3
(b) y3 = A √ x
(c) y2 = A/x
(d) yx2 = A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to move the x and y variables around as a way to cancel out exponents, but it has had no progression. I have also tried to input numbers, but it also has had no progression to it. I am not necessarily looking for an answer, but a push into the direction I should go with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at a simple relation like y = x2.
Think of x2 as a new variable z. What happens if you plot y vs. z?

Oscar Zarate said:
decide which variables you have to choose to plot so the expected graph is a straight line that passes through the origin.
Perhaps you do not understand the question.
You are asked to define two new variables, call them X and Y. These are to be functions of the variables x and y. Likely X=X(x) and Y=Y(y), but not necessarily. A graph of Y against X needs to be a straight line through the origin.

Likes Oscar Zarate

1. What do x and y variables represent in physics/math problems?

In physics and math problems, x and y variables represent unknown quantities or values. They are usually used to represent different physical quantities such as distance, time, velocity, or acceleration.

2. How do I solve equations with x and y variables?

To solve equations with x and y variables, you must first isolate the variable you are solving for by using algebraic manipulation. This involves using inverse operations to move terms from one side of the equation to the other until the variable is alone on one side of the equals sign. Then, substitute the value of the variable into the equation to solve for the other variable.

3. What is the importance of using x and y variables in physics/math problems?

X and y variables are important in physics and math problems because they allow us to mathematically represent and solve complex real-world situations. By assigning variables to different quantities, we can use equations and formulas to analyze and understand the relationships between these quantities.

4. Can I use any letter for x and y variables?

Yes, you can use any letter for x and y variables. In fact, it is common to use other letters such as a, b, c, or even Greek letters like θ or λ to represent variables in equations. The important thing is to clearly define what each variable represents in the problem.

5. How can I check my solution to an x and y variable problem?

You can check your solution to an x and y variable problem by substituting the values you found for the variables back into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your solution is correct. You can also use graphs or tables to check your solution visually.