Physics & Music: Combining Passion & Career

In summary: Are you confused music with acoustics with physics with audio production? Music is something too different from the other three. PHYSICS will help you with acoustics, and depending on courses and electives you choose, also audio production. Music theory is definitely required if you want to compose music, but it's not necessary for everything. For instance, if you're a sound engineer, knowing how to use physics to analyze and manipulate sounds can be incredibly helpful.
youenjoymyself
Hi,

New to this forum..

..and physics

I am currently a seasoned undergrad who only recently decided to study physics. The choice was more out of a growingly passionate curiosity of the subject than of desired career field. While I have been rather indecisive in my choosing of a major, I have for a while felt certain that I'm making the right choice.
Before I landed on physics I was dead set on a career in audio production and engineering. However money and school location were issues and I was unable to pursue it.

Lately I have been entertaining the thought of a combination-of-sorts of both fields. My current university offers a minor in audio production and I have decided to start taking the required classes. The only thing dampening my confidence is what I could do with such a degree. What are current issues for physicists working with acoustics? What are some theoretical career paths I could take? How could I use my knowledge of physics and audio engineering to improve how the world perceives sound?

In short: How can I combine my love for physics and music?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you confusing music with acoustics with physics with audio production? Music is something too different from the other three. PHYSICS will help you with acoustics, and depending on courses and electives you choose, also audio production.

If you could study acoustics, then maybe you can get a handle on how to study woods and strings. In this way at least, acoustics and music might be thought as related.

Hi youenjoymyself!

I'm both a physics enthusiast and an electronic music enthusiast (music here). Not really a master of either trade though :frown:

I guess the obvious thing to say is that a physics degree prepares you for many careers, whereas audio production only prepares you for one.

Actually I would think that a physics degree might well serve you better for many audio-related jobs - for instance if you're working on the latest VST softsynth or plugin, a deep understanding of Fourier transforms, oscillations etc etc is priceless.

Some composers such as Iancu Dumitrescu and Joel Francois Durand compose by analyzing the harmonics present within instruments. Knowing Fourier transforms would be helpful in such a case. Iannis Xenakis also composed using ideas from physics - there is a piece he wrote that was written by modeling each instrument as a molecule and following some distribution. You'll need to know quite a bit of music theory as well if you want to compose music, though.

You could just pursue physics as an interest and not worry about its usefulness with regards to your main career interests. I'd imagine there are possibilities in materials, acoustics, etc.

youenjoymyself said:
Hi,

<snip>

In short: How can I combine my love for physics and music?

Off the top of my head, here's a few:

Audio engineer: designing spaces and speaker placement to optimize the listening experience (which may be different for a concert hall or conference room, for example)

Quality control/calibration services for instrument makers and repair services.

Use of audio in advertising contexts (wave field synthesis, sound localization)

Applications of infrasound/ultrasound

What is the relationship between physics and music?

The relationship between physics and music is that music is essentially a form of sound, which is a physical phenomenon. Therefore, the principles of physics, such as acoustics, vibration, and resonance, play a crucial role in the production and perception of music.

How can physics be applied in the field of music?

Physics can be applied in music in many ways, such as designing musical instruments, understanding the properties of sound and how it travels, and analyzing the physical components of music, such as frequency, amplitude, and harmonics. Additionally, physics can also help in the production and recording of music through the use of technologies like microphones and speakers.

What skills are necessary to combine physics and music in a career?

To combine physics and music in a career, one needs a strong foundation in both disciplines. A good understanding of physics principles, including mathematics and scientific experimentation, is essential. In addition, proficiency in playing a musical instrument or composing music is also beneficial.

What are some common career paths for those interested in physics and music?

There are various career paths for individuals interested in combining physics and music, such as acoustical engineering, instrument design and manufacturing, music production and recording, and music education. Other options include working in research and development for music-related technologies or pursuing a career as a professional musician with a strong understanding of the physical aspects of music.

Can physics and music be studied together in an academic setting?

Yes, there are academic programs that offer a combination of physics and music courses, such as a double major or a minor in one of the disciplines. Additionally, there are also specialized programs, such as acoustical engineering or music technology, that incorporate both physics and music in their curriculum.