Can Physics Answer Philosophical Questions?

• Thread starter hhh79bigo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of discussing philosophical questions in a physics forum. The original poster shared an unconventional opinion that was deemed irrelevant to physics and was told to post in a different section. The discussion then shifted to the rules and guidelines of the forum, and the moderator explained the reasoning behind not allowing religious discussions. The conversation ended with an apology and a clarification of a typo.
hhh79bigo
physics and phylosophy?

I have been having a discusion with someone on the physics forum, admittedly I think I might have annoyed him.

I am a physics student, and was wondering, is physics one of the ways of answering phylosophical questions, because this person couldn't quite grasp the fact that I posted an opinion which was a bit unconvensional and a little phylosophical on the forum not a start to a debate.

I think he was a moderator too and told me to come on here oooops.

Regards

hhh79bigo :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
hhh79bigo said:
because this person couldn't quite grasp the fact that I posted an opinion which was a bit unconvensional and a little phylosophical on the forum not a start to a debate.

Correction. It was BECAUSE I grasped the fact that it WAS an off-beat opinion that I said it did NOT belong in the physics section. It had zero physics content. Do not jumble up the point of my objection here.

We used to have a "Theory Development" section where we dump "opinions" like that. It has been removed and we now insist that you either stick to our guidelines or the posting will be deleted. The physics section isn't meant for baseless opinions. Never was!

Zz.

hhh79bigo:
In your earlier comment, you presented the search to "know God and his designs" as a somehow equivalent statement to that of exploring the physical universe as it presents itself to the researching physicist.
Do you understand why this conflation of ideas has no place within a sub-forum dedicated to PHYSICS?

I can see where you guys are coming from, however I don't see a conflict, I personally believe in both science and god both can explain things that the other can't. I know this doesn't have a physics base topic, and should belong on a theoligistical forum, my father is a PhD in physics and still believes in god, why do the 2 contradict. This is the last time i shall mention religion. o:)

Sorry if this opinion doesn't fit with convntional physics. I often wonder how far I can go with the big bang to see the source of how it was created.

Going onto another topic though any thoughts I would appreciate this is my personal curiosity coming into play and has no accademic relivance.

best regards

hhh79bigo

We have a blanket rule here about not discussing topics involving religion because people can't discuss it without the threads quickly degenerating into attacks and insults, as had been demonstrated repeatedly when religious topics were still permitted. That's the biggest reason you can't discuss it here. There are plenty of other places on the internet where religious discussion is permitted; this isn't one of them.

hhh79bigo said:
I can see where you guys are coming from, however I don't see a conflict, I personally believe in both science and god both can explain things that the other can't. I know this doesn't have a physics base topic, and should belong on a theoligistical forum, my father is a PhD in physics and still believes in god, why do the 2 contradict.
I am an engineer and a Christian and I also don't feel a conflict - they are separate components of who I am. But I wouldn't discuss engineering in a religion forum and it is equally inappropriate to discuss religion in a science forum. I believe God created the laws that set up the universe, then kicked it into motion with the big bang. But that belief has nothing to do with the big bang theory itself, so it would be inappropriate to discuss in a physics forum.
Sorry if this opinion doesn't fit with convntional physics. I often wonder how far I can go with the big bang to see the source of how it was created.
Since the Big Bang Theory doesn't and can't answer the question "why?", and there is a limit to how far "how?" questions can go, asking the question is not appropriate for a physics discussion.

There may be room for a "When Science and Religion Cross Paths" forum where the religious implications of things like "what came before the big bang?" or "how does the Genesis Creation Story jive with the Big Bang Theory" can be discussed, but we choose not to have such a forum because they tend to lack civility.

Last edited:
Fair enough, and I agree

no more religeous stuff...Sorry I am a new member and shud go over the rules again. Sorry...

Regards

hhh79bigo

Quick question: What is "phylosophy"? Is that just a typo or is that another word?

It's just a typo. This was moved from the philosophy forums.

1. What is the relationship between physics and philosophy?

The relationship between physics and philosophy is complex and multifaceted. In general, physics is considered a subset of philosophy, as it is a discipline that seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. However, philosophy also encompasses many other areas of inquiry, such as ethics and metaphysics, that are not directly related to physics. Therefore, while physics and philosophy are closely related, they are also distinct fields of study.

2. How does philosophy influence the development of physics?

Philosophy has played a significant role in the development of physics throughout history. In ancient times, philosophers such as Aristotle and Plato laid the foundations for our understanding of the natural world, which eventually led to the development of modern physics. In more recent times, philosophers like Immanuel Kant and Rene Descartes have influenced the development of physics by posing important questions and providing new perspectives on the nature of reality.

3. Is physics purely a scientific discipline, or does it have philosophical implications?

While physics is primarily a scientific discipline, it also has significant philosophical implications. The study of physics raises questions about the nature of reality, the role of observation and measurement, and the limits of human understanding. These questions have been and continue to be explored by both physicists and philosophers, leading to a deeper understanding of the universe and our place in it.

4. Can philosophy help us understand the fundamental laws of physics?

Yes, philosophy can help us understand the fundamental laws of physics. Philosophers often approach these laws from a different perspective than scientists, using logic and reason to explore their implications and consequences. This can lead to new insights and interpretations of physical laws, helping us to better understand and apply them in our scientific endeavors.

5. How does the study of physics intersect with other branches of philosophy?

The study of physics intersects with other branches of philosophy in many ways. For example, the philosophy of science explores the foundations, methods, and implications of scientific inquiry, including physics. Metaphysics, the branch of philosophy concerned with the nature of reality, is also closely related to physics, as it deals with questions about the ultimate nature of the universe and the fundamental laws that govern it. Ethics and aesthetics can also play a role in the study of physics, as they explore the ethical and moral implications of scientific discoveries and the beauty and elegance of physical theories.