Physics and science of contortion/flexibility/magic tricks

In summary: A static contortionist will keep their joints in a certain position,while a dynamic contortionist will move their joints around.I also do some choreography and dance,which would also require me to be in different positions constantly.In summary, contortionists are experts in flexibility. They have weak ligaments which makes them more flexible than average. Contortionists do not use any new principles, they only use those governing our everyday lives.
Mt. Nixion
I am curious about the physics and science of contortion. However, I cannot figure it out. Can someone please help me out with the science and physics of contortion/flexibility? Also, what are the physics of magic tricks?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you be more precise?
Remember, magicians are adepts in making you believe something you see something you didn't see. There are no new physical principles involved in magic tricks than those governing our everyday lives.

arildno said:
Could you be more precise?
Remember, magicians are adepts in making you believe something you see something you didn't see. There are no new physical principles involved in magic tricks than those governing our everyday lives.

I know there are no new principles in magic. I am not dumb. What I want is the physical laws governing magic. Not only the physics, but the science, meaning other sciences like chemistry if nessesary.

Also, I meant contortion as in gymnastic contortion.

That depends on what magic you want to have explained.
Some card tricks, for example, is done by hiding cards up in your sleeve or elsewhere.
You might call the fact that you cannot see a card that is hidden from view a physical law governing those card tricks.

So again, be precise about what particular tricks you want to know the physics of.

Sure, but it's the contortion I really want to know about. Could you explain it to me?

Contortionists just have weak ligaments, which makes them more flexible than average. You're not supposed to be able to pop your shoulder out of its socket.

For magic, all magic tricks are different, and many have very little to do with physics, so you'll have to be more specific. For example, card tricks are usually just feats of dexterity and/or misdirection. Not a lot of physics there. Pulling a rabbit out of a hat is generally a false-bottom. Again, no physics going on there.

As in guys getting out of ropes and such?

Or guys who can press and twist themselves into a small box?

If "contortion" has a specific, technical sense, rather than just denoting a twisting of the body you wouldn't believe was possible, then please provide an example.

arildno said:

If "contortion" has a specific, technical sense, rather than just denoting a twisting of the body you wouldn't believe was possible, then please provide an example.

Doesn't matter, but the second example would be better.

As russ have said, some guys have a lot looser joints than ordinary folks, and can, for example, place their legs around their heads.

Okay, I not only said physics, but science of these things, like chemistry and biology.

What I meant by physics of contortion, I meant things like solid elasticity, hooke's law, and other mechanical properties. If that applies.

Sounds like you just need a good physics textbook

arildno said:

Putting yourself into a small box requires good flexibility. Getting out of a straightjacket or getting your body through a tennis racket (saw that once) requires an unusually narrow upper body and popping a shoulder out of its socket.

Oh, and though I said ligaments, it would require loose tendons as well. Mostly, loose tendons is just good flexibility, though.

Applying physics to that would be a stretch (pun intended) - are you trying to do this for a project/paper?

I am doing a paper on it.

I have a book called 'Chemical Magic' that you can find here: I think that there are others that might help you as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered asking any contortion artists for your paper?

Sorry I didn't answer so soon. I live in a small town and having checked for contortinists, there are none at where I live.

Hey
I see you have a question about contortion and since no one could clearly explain it to you,I'd love to.I am a contortionist and I've been training myself for about six months with a few gymnastics lessons.Contortion is a very difficult performing art often in circuses,on tv,and other types of media or publicity.Many people see contortionists and watch in awe not knowing,they could be contortionists too!:]Although some contortionists can dislocate certain body parts it is not necessary,however it attributes to their flexibility.People who train to be contortionists sometimes start to be able to dislocate their joints from all the stretching,I can dislocate my hips,this does provide problems for me though,sometimes my hips "give out" because the joints are so loosened.There are two types on contortionists;front benders and back benders.Although you need great flexibility in your back for front bending,the area you stretch is your legs.Back bending on the other hand requires a great deal of flexibility in your spine and back.They say it is rare to be capable of both front and back bending but I can do both,and I haven't been doing it for to terribly long.Most contortionists people see are either Asian or European,and have been training there whole lives.There are contortionists that start later on as well,I started when I was 14 and I'm 15 now and I'm making good progress[especially since I can be lazy at times and not stretch] With patience,practice,and passion anybody can do it!I now practice 1-3 hours every day or every other day,not stretching can be crucial and set me back.If I stopped,it would take a while to get back to where I was.Initially,contortionists are so flexible because they constantly stretch,stretch,stretch and stretch even more!
Well,I hope I answered your question somewhere in this heap of information:]

1. What is the science behind contortion and flexibility?

The science behind contortion and flexibility lies in the human body's musculoskeletal system. Flexible individuals have a higher proportion of slow-twitch muscle fibers, which allow for sustained muscle contractions and greater range of motion. Additionally, contortionists have a higher pain tolerance and can activate specific muscle groups to achieve extreme positions through years of training.

2. How do contortionists perform seemingly impossible bending and twisting movements?

Contortionists use a combination of strength, flexibility, and body control to perform their impressive movements. By understanding the limits and capabilities of their body, they can manipulate their muscles and joints in ways that may seem impossible to the average person.

3. Can anyone become a contortionist or is it a natural ability?

While some individuals may have a natural predisposition towards flexibility, anyone can become a contortionist with proper training and dedication. It takes years of consistent practice and conditioning to achieve the extreme flexibility and control required for contortion acts.

4. What role does physics play in contortion and magic tricks?

Physics plays a significant role in contortion and magic tricks. The principles of balance, center of gravity, and leverage are crucial for contortionists to maintain their positions and execute their movements. In magic tricks, physics is often used to create illusions and manipulate objects in seemingly impossible ways.

5. Is contortion considered a sport or an art form?

Contortion is often considered both a sport and an art form. It requires physical strength, flexibility, and discipline similar to other sports, but it also involves a high level of creativity, expression, and performance. Many contortionists also incorporate dance and acrobatics into their acts, making it a unique blend of athleticism and artistry.