Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and the human experience

1. May 7, 2009 #1
    I have had a question in my mind for the last while that frankly I don't have the education to even try to answer. (read why not to join the military before university).

Considering our understanding of physics, do we have freedom of choice or are all things that happen following a kind of "destiny" predetermined by subatomic particles that were set into motion billions of years ago?

I realize I'm probably just that kid that joined some forums and asked a profoundly stupid question with his first post.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2009 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

Welcome to the PF.
    It's a good question, but probably belongs in the philosophy forum. You're talking about 'free-will' and 'determinism' which has been treated by Liebnitz, Descartes, Kant, Hegel, Russell and probably even Bobby Charlton and anyone who ever had a philosophical thought or discussion.

This thread addresses your question and will give you a taste of controversy.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=311907

4. May 7, 2009 #3
    Or maybe the Quantum Physics Forum, since the OP's question "are all things that happen following a kind of "destiny" predetermined by subatomic particles that were set into motion billions of years ago?" would be true in the absence of quantum effects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook