1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics areas

1. Sep 19, 2007 #1
    Hi people!

I am 23 years old and I graduate form BS in Electronic Systems Engineering but I love physics and I am interested in chaos, nonlinear dynamics and statistical mechanics, right know I am in BS in Physics and I am planning to get an MSc in Physics and a PhD in Physics because I want to get a job as a researcher in the future.

Which areas of physics have the best employment rates?

Which area of physics can you suggest me with my background?

Thank you and sorry for my English.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The area of physics that probably has the highest employment rate historically is Solid State Physics, but it also has highest rate of new PhD's by what I hear. Check out the job statistics on the APS website for more info.

Since I am still an undergrad myself, I cant really say what field would be best for you since I still haven't been exposed to all of them myself. Also, you should probably mention whether you are interested in experimental or theoretical physics also, since this will help those who can give more detailed information. Good Luck in your future endeavors.:smile:

4. Sep 19, 2007 #3
    I am interested more in theoretical physics more than experimental physics

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4
    Solid-state/condensed-matter physics is not restricted to experimental work--there is plenty of theory to be developed.

6. Sep 20, 2007 #5
    I have another question, am I too old to begin with all this?

7. Sep 20, 2007 #6
    Not at all--Queen guitarist Brian May just completed his doctorate in astrophysics, 36 years after he started it.

8. Sep 20, 2007 #7
    Too old at *23*?!? What the hell is wrong with you?

9. Sep 2, 2009 #8
    but what is the employment rate for those with phD's in solid-state or condensed matter theory?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?