Physics Degree: Theoretical vs. Applied Math & Career Opportunities

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in studying physics after completing their computer science degree. They are considering the difference between studying 'normal' physics and astrophysics and ask about the differences between Theoretical and Applied math. The conversation also delves into the various career opportunities in physics, including working for government laboratories, private sector companies such as NASA and Lockheed, and teaching. The conversation also mentions the use of computers and math modeling in both lab and office settings, as well as the importance of grants in the field.
Jurgens
Hi Everybody,
Currently I am finalizing my Comp Science degree, and will be starting my degree in physics after this.

I have an incredible thirst for knowledge in what drives our world, unfortunately the field of of physics is so broad studying it all would take a lifetime. While still deciding between studying 'normal' physics or astrophysics, I have a few questions about the path forward in general:

Our Universities pair a physics degree with either Theoretical or Applied math, what is the difference and which is the better pair?

Besides teaching and working at research labs (CERN etc.) what other career opportunities are there in Physics? What sort of careers are there in the private sector for graduated physicists?

Thanks so much for everyone's insight and input :)

Physics news on Phys.org
NASA, NOAA, NIST, APL, Lockheed, Ball Aerospace, EXELIS (if you like GNSS), dozens of government laboratories (e.g. Sandia Labs) , are one option. \
Also, FBI, and law enforcement may hire some physicists.

In the 1980's I interviewed at ATT, Eastman Kodak, Xerox, MITRE, Booz-Allen, and 9 other places, I only had two plant trips and one offer, but I think things are even harder now.

Teaching is another option, it usually requires a Masters though for colleges, and high school teaching also may require a Masters in the career, eventually.

What sort of careers are there. Every physicist I know work in a lab or an office (private sector or not). Both types use computers extensively. Office physicists do a lot of math modeling. A few experimentalists that I know write proposals for grants (money), just the same as physicists in academia. I'm sure some theoreticians also compete for grants, but I cannot come up with a name right now.

Likes Jurgens

What is the difference between a theoretical and applied math degree in physics?

A theoretical math degree in physics focuses on the development and application of mathematical theories to explain physical phenomena. It is more abstract and theoretical in nature, and involves a lot of mathematical modeling and problem-solving. On the other hand, an applied math degree in physics is more focused on using mathematical techniques and tools to solve real-world problems in various fields of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum physics.

What kind of career opportunities are available for those with a theoretical math degree in physics?

Individuals with a theoretical math degree in physics can pursue careers in research and academia, where they can work on developing new theories and mathematical models to explain complex physical phenomena. They can also work in industries such as finance, data analysis, and computer science, where their strong mathematical background is highly valued.

What kind of career opportunities are available for those with an applied math degree in physics?

Individuals with an applied math degree in physics can pursue careers in a wide range of fields, including engineering, research and development, data analysis, and computational modeling. They can also work in industries such as aerospace, technology, and finance, where their strong analytical and problem-solving skills are highly sought after.

Is one type of degree more valuable than the other in terms of job prospects and salary?

Both theoretical and applied math degrees in physics have their own unique value in the job market. While individuals with a theoretical math degree may have more opportunities in research and academia, those with an applied math degree may have more options in industry and potentially higher salaries due to their practical skills. Ultimately, the value of a degree depends on the individual's interests, strengths, and career goals.

Can I switch from a theoretical to an applied math degree, or vice versa?

It is possible to switch from a theoretical to an applied math degree, or vice versa, but it may require taking additional courses or completing extra requirements. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure a smooth transition and to make sure all necessary requirements are met. However, keep in mind that both types of degrees require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, so it may be challenging to switch between them if you do not have a solid background in both areas.