Physics as a Hobby: Tips for Continuing Study

• Studying
  • Thread starter patricio ramos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience with studying physics and their interest in continuing it as a hobby. They mention struggling with proofs and mathematical physics and finding problem-solving to be the key to understanding. They also mention using Khan Academy as a resource and considering watching videos and solving problems from their University Physics book.
patricio ramos
Hey guys. I am a former physics student, but I switched to engineering after 2 years because I kind of sucked as a student, and I did not see myself in academia. Also, I kind of really started to not understand when introduced to proofs and mathematical physics. I did not know what a proof was until about age 18, and my math education was extremely poor in high school (it only went up to algebra 2 :/). I still maintain that physics was not for me, but I never meant to just leave it forever (although engineering is obviously applied physics). I still read my University Physics book from time to time because I absolutely love it and understand everything in it. It's just that when I get to the real books that I get stuck.

Just as an example, I remember buying Kolenkow's book in my second semester, and I was very excited to get it because the hardcover is so nice and bright. I understood the first chapter perfectly, and then came the problems. I got absolutely owned by them and did not even know where to start. The same goes for Griffiths, though I could solve more problems for that book. I would really love to continue studying physics as a hobby. Obviously I don't need to do it as hard as an aspiring physicist, but I want to get a little farther than what I did. Any tips?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd try going through the Physics video sequence on Khan Academy. That should make it easier to read your Univ Physics book.

Alternatively, you could watch one video at a time and then read more about it in your book and followup solving a few problems. The problem solving is the key to really understanding things.

PF can be your resource for confusion when solving any problem.

Likes Kaushik
jedishrfu said:
PF can be your resource for confusion when solving any problem.
I'm having trouble parsing that sentence... o0)

:smile:

Likes DEvens
jedishrfu said:
The problem solving is the key to really understanding things.
This is the most important point. I think it was @Dr. Courtney who wrote about it, comparing it to practicing a sport or practicing scales as a musician. I had a professor who told us to read the textbook "with paper and pencil in hand." Just sitting there reading the books won't get you far.

That also makes a "self study" or "hobby" approach difficult. I find that I really have to keep at it to make any progress. It is just too easy to go do something else, whether mowing the lawn or watching a ball game on TV.

Likes Dr. Courtney
berkeman said:
I'm having trouble parsing that sentence... o0)

:smile:

When I was writing my thesis, one of the sentences in the intro was along these lines. "There is a significant amount of confusion in the literature on this topic." And under my breath I always added "To which we are eager to add."

Likes berkeman and gmax137
jedishrfu said:
I'd try going through the Physics video sequence on Khan Academy. That should make it easier to read your Univ Physics book.

I have not looked at Khan Academy for some years. Do they get into university level physics? Last time I looked (very long ago) they were only doing high school at the most.

1. What are some tips for balancing physics as a hobby with other responsibilities?

One tip is to schedule specific times for studying and practicing physics, and stick to that schedule. It's also important to prioritize and delegate other tasks to make time for your hobby. Additionally, finding a study group or online community can help keep you motivated and accountable.

2. How can I continue my physics study without access to a formal education program?

There are many resources available for self-study, such as online courses, textbooks, and educational websites. You can also attend workshops or seminars, join a physics club, or find a mentor who can provide guidance and support.

3. What are some ways to make physics more hands-on and engaging as a hobby?

One idea is to build your own experiments using household materials or inexpensive kits. You can also attend physics demonstrations or participate in citizen science projects. Another option is to use simulation software or virtual reality programs to explore complex concepts.

4. How can I stay motivated and enthusiastic about physics as a long-term hobby?

Setting achievable goals and tracking your progress can help maintain motivation. It's also important to vary your study methods and topics, and to take breaks when needed. Engaging with others who share your interest in physics can also provide inspiration and new perspectives.

5. Are there any career opportunities or practical applications for pursuing physics as a hobby?

While physics as a hobby may not necessarily lead to a career, it can provide valuable skills and knowledge that can be applied in various fields. For example, understanding physics concepts can be useful in engineering, technology, and research. Additionally, many hobbies can also lead to networking opportunities and potential job connections.