Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics as fate?

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    Hello. I am working on a paper regarding the concept of a lack of free-will, and I am taking the stance that physics could determine fate.

I am proposing that all actions (such as brain functions that cause our thoughts and feelings) could be pre-determined through the use of applied physics if all variables in the universe that could alter or change any results are taken into effect.

Basically, every brain functions of every life-form, every gravitational interaction, every death of a star, anything that could happen throughout the entire universe could be used as a variable to determine the future.

I was looking for PF input on this concept for extra ideas for the paper.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2

dst

4. Dec 2, 2007 #3

JesseM

Science Advisor

5. Dec 2, 2007 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi MJ,
    You might find looking into Benjamin Libet's research helpful. This article gives a brief description of the study he's most famous for:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=neuroscience-and-the-law

We also once had a thread about this that you might enjoy reading:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64156

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  6. Dec 2, 2007 #5
    I foudn that ^^ interesting but i'm just wondering WHY it must be that we have no free-will just because we don't conciously know... couldn't and shouldn't freewill be PRIOR to conciousness?

7. Dec 2, 2007 #6

dst

If you're on a Windows machine, browse to:

C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll

Well, I think the mechanism separating conscious thought (user mode code) & brain functions (machine code) would be analogous to that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?