1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Assesment : Copper wires resistance

1. Jul 14, 2004 #1
    Hi. This may seem extremely easy for all you guys here but seeing as Im 15 its not quite as simple to me.
    Firstly the assesment im going to be doing will count for my GCSE therefore i want the best possible result (Btw im taking triple science)
    Can someone with as much detail as possible explain a good "prediction" since im not 100% sure if the thing im writing is correct therefore i need some help :S thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2004 #2

We can help you as soon as you ask the problem. From what I can tell it has something to do with the resistance of copper wires (i'm a smart one, ain't I? :smile: ) I don't know if this helps, but the resistance will depend on the thickness of the wire, it's length and a constant of resistivity (or something along those lines, i'm not checking any of this, so make sure you verify it), in the form:

R = \rho \frac{L}{A} [/tex]

where p is the constant (depends on the material, look up copper), L is the length, A is the cross-sectional area, and R of course is resistance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?