1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics & astrophysics books

1. Jul 2, 2005 #1
    hi,
    I have some money which I have to spend on physics & astrophysics books. I want your openion on this matter.

I am looking for books which are not too specific.
    For example I like A&A library of Springer but I do not want to buy books like "Supernovae" or "Gravitational lensing". From this series I already have "The Early universe", "Astrophysical concepts", and "Astrophysics".
    I want to buy "Dover's" books but most of them are very old. I thought about "Graviation (Misner, Throne, Wheeler)", but not sure either I will be able to read this thick book in my life, particulerly when I have very light and easy books like Weinberg's GTR & Cosmology book.

One starnge thing is that most of the classic books were written in early 70s, like Hawking & Elis "Large scale of structure of space time", Zeldovich & Novikov's "Relativistic Astrophysics", and "Gravitatioan" and they never came up with their any new edition.

Peeble's both books "Large scale structure of the universe" and "Physical cosmology" I already have.

Anyway, If you know about some latest and very good physics, astrophysics and cosmology books suitable for a gradutae student or researcher let me know.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2005 #2
    I recently studied some chapters of Dodelson's Modern Cosmology (graduate level, 2003) and I think it is pretty good.

4. Jul 2, 2005 #3

nee

i learn a lot about particle physics from Brian Greene books: Elegant Universe and The Fabric of the Cosmos, not to specific for beginer

5. Jul 2, 2005 #4
    This book i have. This is really a very good book.

6. Jul 2, 2005 #5
    I think this book is for school going kids.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?