Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics & astrophysics books

1. Jul 2, 2005 #1
    I have some money which I have to spend on physics & astrophysics books. I want your openion on this matter.

I am looking for books which are not too specific.
    For example I like A&A library of Springer but I do not want to buy books like "Supernovae" or "Gravitational lensing". From this series I already have "The Early universe", "Astrophysical concepts", and "Astrophysics".
    I want to buy "Dover's" books but most of them are very old. I thought about "Graviation (Misner, Throne, Wheeler)", but not sure either I will be able to read this thick book in my life, particulerly when I have very light and easy books like Weinberg's GTR & Cosmology book.

One starnge thing is that most of the classic books were written in early 70s, like Hawking & Elis "Large scale of structure of space time", Zeldovich & Novikov's "Relativistic Astrophysics", and "Gravitatioan" and they never came up with their any new edition.

Peeble's both books "Large scale structure of the universe" and "Physical cosmology" I already have.

Anyway, If you know about some latest and very good physics, astrophysics and cosmology books suitable for a gradutae student or researcher let me know.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2005 #2
    I recently studied some chapters of Dodelson's Modern Cosmology (graduate level, 2003) and I think it is pretty good.
  4. Jul 2, 2005 #3

i learn a lot about particle physics from Brian Greene books: Elegant Universe and The Fabric of the Cosmos, not to specific for beginer
  5. Jul 2, 2005 #4
    This book i have. This is really a very good book.
  6. Jul 2, 2005 #5
    I think this book is for school going kids.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?