1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics at Columbia

1. Apr 1, 2005 #1
    How's physics at Columbia? It seems that Cornell has a more well known physics program, and there's not much said about Columbia. And what about physics at Brandeis and at Brown?

Also, what are my chances for an awesome grad school going to a school like Brandeis that isn't ivy? I'm not sure what to do. Brandeis is attractive because they gave me a highly prestigious scholarship with a lot of money, but again the other ivys are tempting.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2005 #2
    Very little students are physics majors at columbia so I would assume that their program is'nt overly too good.

If you got into any ivy school, they would make sure that you can afford to stay there.

im scared because our sn's are different by 3 numbers

4. Apr 1, 2005 #3
    AN IMPOSTER! HOW DARE YOU?

That's too bad that columbia doesn't have a physics program. It's a prestigious college.

As far as brandeis, they give 50 full scholarships and I received one, so there is a lot of prestige associated with it.

5. Apr 1, 2005 #4
    don't get me wrong, columbia HAS a physics program, but I know that it might not be AS good as some of your other options.

6. Apr 1, 2005 #5
    You probably want to talk to someone in the Brandeis physics department about what their graduate school placement rates are like. There's sometimes someone in an administrative role who might have this information. Their website doesn't seem to have any information about the staff there.

7. Apr 1, 2005 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

um.. Brian Greene anyone?

8. Apr 1, 2005 #7
    haha....I just had that exact thought....."um.. Brian Greene anyone?".....Well, technically, I think he's part of the math department, but we all know where his
    allegiance lies.....

9. Apr 2, 2005 #8
    Yeah, it's mainly the graduate school placement rates that I'm worried about. Brown from what I've heard is suffering on that front. But i've heard nothing about columbia, brown, or cornell.

10. Apr 2, 2005 #9
    Columbia has a reputation for taking prospective (undergraduate) natural scientists and turning them into humanists and social scientists. This is connected to the Core Curriculum, which is very heavy on the humanities and social sciences. This leads into the issue that Columbia attracts many students who are not going to be science majors, so a small number of physics majors is to be expected.

If you're interested in graduate school placement numbers, you can of course contact the department. I would suspect they'd be good, the few undergraduates I've known well here have all done remarkably well for themselves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?