Physics at Columbia, Brandeis, Brown: Grad School Chances

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics programs at Columbia, Cornell, Brandeis, and Brown universities. It is mentioned that Cornell's program is more well-known, while Columbia's program is not highly regarded due to the school's focus on the humanities and social sciences. The speaker is considering attending Brandeis due to a prestigious scholarship, but is worried about their chances for an awesome graduate school as it is not an Ivy League school. However, it is mentioned that Brandeis has a good graduate school placement rate and even has renowned physicist Brian Greene on their staff. The conversation ends with a discussion about Columbia's reputation for turning natural science students into humanists and social scientists, and the possibility of contacting the physics department for more information
Moose352
How's physics at Columbia? It seems that Cornell has a more well known physics program, and there's not much said about Columbia. And what about physics at Brandeis and at Brown?

Also, what are my chances for an awesome grad school going to a school like Brandeis that isn't ivy? I'm not sure what to do. Brandeis is attractive because they gave me a highly prestigious scholarship with a lot of money, but again the other ivys are tempting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Very little students are physics majors at columbia so I would assume that their program is'nt overly too good.

If you got into any ivy school, they would make sure that you can afford to stay there.

im scared because our sn's are different by 3 numbers

AN IMPOSTER! HOW DARE YOU?

That's too bad that columbia doesn't have a physics program. It's a prestigious college.

As far as brandeis, they give 50 full scholarships and I received one, so there is a lot of prestige associated with it.

Moose352 said:
AN IMPOSTER! HOW DARE YOU?

That's too bad that columbia doesn't have a physics program. It's a prestigious college.

As far as brandeis, they give 50 full scholarships and I received one, so there is a lot of prestige associated with it.
don't get me wrong, columbia HAS a physics program, but I know that it might not be AS good as some of your other options.

You probably want to talk to someone in the Brandeis physics department about what their graduate school placement rates are like. There's sometimes someone in an administrative role who might have this information. Their website doesn't seem to have any information about the staff there.

um.. Brian Greene anyone?

haha...I just had that exact thought..."um.. Brian Greene anyone?"...Well, technically, I think he's part of the math department, but we all know where his
allegiance lies...

Yeah, it's mainly the graduate school placement rates that I'm worried about. Brown from what I've heard is suffering on that front. But I've heard nothing about columbia, brown, or cornell.

Columbia has a reputation for taking prospective (undergraduate) natural scientists and turning them into humanists and social scientists. This is connected to the Core Curriculum, which is very heavy on the humanities and social sciences. This leads into the issue that Columbia attracts many students who are not going to be science majors, so a small number of physics majors is to be expected.

If you're interested in graduate school placement numbers, you can of course contact the department. I would suspect they'd be good, the few undergraduates I've known well here have all done remarkably well for themselves.

1. What are the admission requirements for the physics graduate programs at Columbia, Brandeis, and Brown?

The admission requirements for each program may vary slightly, but in general, applicants will need to have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and other related sciences. They will also need to submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require GRE scores and/or a personal interview.

2. What is the average acceptance rate for these physics graduate programs?

The acceptance rate for these programs can vary from year to year and may also depend on the specific department within each university. However, on average, the acceptance rate for physics graduate programs at these universities is around 20-30%.

3. What research opportunities are available for graduate students in these programs?

All three universities have well-established and renowned physics research programs, with opportunities for graduate students to participate in cutting-edge research projects. Students can work with faculty members on various research topics such as astrophysics, condensed matter physics, and high energy physics.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a physics graduate program at these universities?

The length of these programs can vary, but on average, it takes 5-6 years to complete a physics graduate program at Columbia, Brandeis, or Brown. This includes coursework, research, and completing a thesis or dissertation.

5. Are there any financial aid or funding opportunities available for graduate students in these programs?

Yes, all three universities offer financial aid and funding opportunities for graduate students in their physics programs. This can include scholarships, grants, teaching or research assistantships, and fellowships. These opportunities may be competitive, but students are encouraged to apply for them to help cover the cost of tuition and living expenses.