Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics at Home

1. Jan 14, 2008 #1
    I'm sure everyone here loves to do physics at home. This weekend I made a cheap accelerometer, but I want to know what other physics related activities people are doing at home.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you go to Physics Central run by the APS and click on Physics @ Home, you'll find several physics projects.

The APS and AIP webpages are usually the best places to start when looking for physics-related news, information, and activities.

Zz.

4. Jan 14, 2008 #3
    Those Physics @ Home are great at explaining certain things at home, but I am interested in what people are actually doing, not just fun things like I made, but what about real physics at home?

5. Jan 14, 2008 #4
    I'm not sure that can be called physics at home but it was interesting:

I got an old (20 years or so) 220V-24V transformer from my grandpa and connected a self-made bridge circuit to it. Now I have a DC 24V source at home. Yay. Nothing much, but I think even things like this help to improve the understanding about them.

6. Jan 14, 2008 #5
    Perhaps I should have said science at home, or lab at home. But this is what I was asking about, I like doing stuff like this, and was just taking a temperature of were the community is.

7. Jan 14, 2008 #6
    Well, I'm not doing any science but every now and then I like making experiments like this. I also made a copper vitriol crystal. Took a week, but now it's about 4x4x4 cm and looks nice on my bookshelf.

P.S That rectifier was made just for fun. I have no actual use for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?