Physics Fun at Home: Share Your Ideas!

In summary, the conversation was about doing physics or science-related activities at home. The participants shared their own experiences, such as building a DC 24V source and making a copper vitriol crystal. They also mentioned websites like APS and AIP, which provide resources for physics enthusiasts to do experiments at home. Some expressed their interest in seeing what others are doing in terms of real physics or science at home.
CraigD
I'm sure everyone here loves to do physics at home. This weekend I made a cheap http://www.cymek.com/?q=node/109", but I want to know what other physics related activities people are doing at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you go to http://www.physicscentral.com/" run by the APS and click on Physics @ Home, you'll find several physics projects.

The APS and AIP webpages are usually the best places to start when looking for physics-related news, information, and activities.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Physics @ Home are great at explaining certain things at home, but I am interested in what people are actually doing, not just fun things like I made, but what about real physics at home?

I'm not sure that can be called physics at home but it was interesting:

I got an old (20 years or so) 220V-24V transformer from my grandpa and connected a self-made bridge circuit to it. Now I have a DC 24V source at home. Yay. Nothing much, but I think even things like this help to improve the understanding about them.

kbaumen said:
I'm not sure that can be called physics at home but it was interesting:

I got an old (20 years or so) 220V-24V transformer from my grandpa and connected a self-made bridge circuit to it. Now I have a DC 24V source at home. Yay. Nothing much, but I think even things like this help to improve the understanding about them.

Perhaps I should have said science at home, or lab at home. But this is what I was asking about, I like doing stuff like this, and was just taking a temperature of were the community is.

Well, I'm not doing any science but every now and then I like making experiments like this. I also made a copper vitriol crystal. Took a week, but now it's about 4x4x4 cm and looks nice on my bookshelf.

P.S That rectifier was made just for fun. I have no actual use for it.

What is "Physics Fun at Home: Share Your Ideas!"?

"Physics Fun at Home: Share Your Ideas!" is a virtual event or platform where scientists, educators, and other experts share creative and interactive physics activities that can be done at home with simple materials.

Why is it important to have physics activities at home?

Having physics activities at home can help spark interest and curiosity in the subject, especially for young learners. It also allows individuals to explore and understand the principles of physics in a hands-on and engaging way.

What kind of activities can be shared in "Physics Fun at Home: Share Your Ideas!"?

There are a variety of activities that can be shared, such as experiments, demonstrations, simulations, and games. These activities can cover a wide range of topics in physics, from mechanics to electricity and magnetism.

Do I need special equipment or materials to participate?

No, the activities shared in "Physics Fun at Home: Share Your Ideas!" are designed to be done with simple and everyday materials that can be found at home. This makes it accessible and easy for anyone to participate.

How can I share my own physics activity?

If you have a fun and interactive physics activity that you would like to share, you can submit it through the designated submission process on the platform. Your activity may be featured and shared with others who are interested in exploring physics at home!