1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics at Home

1. Jan 14, 2008 #1
    I'm sure everyone here loves to do physics at home. This weekend I made a cheap http://www.cymek.com/?q=node/109", but I want to know what other physics related activities people are doing at home.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you go to http://www.physicscentral.com/" [Broken] run by the APS and click on Physics @ Home, you'll find several physics projects.

The APS and AIP webpages are usually the best places to start when looking for physics-related news, information, and activities.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  4. Jan 14, 2008 #3
    Those Physics @ Home are great at explaining certain things at home, but I am interested in what people are actually doing, not just fun things like I made, but what about real physics at home?

5. Jan 14, 2008 #4
    I'm not sure that can be called physics at home but it was interesting:

I got an old (20 years or so) 220V-24V transformer from my grandpa and connected a self-made bridge circuit to it. Now I have a DC 24V source at home. Yay. Nothing much, but I think even things like this help to improve the understanding about them.

6. Jan 14, 2008 #5
    Perhaps I should have said science at home, or lab at home. But this is what I was asking about, I like doing stuff like this, and was just taking a temperature of were the community is.

7. Jan 14, 2008 #6
    Well, I'm not doing any science but every now and then I like making experiments like this. I also made a copper vitriol crystal. Took a week, but now it's about 4x4x4 cm and looks nice on my bookshelf.

P.S That rectifier was made just for fun. I have no actual use for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook