Physics Major at Howard U: Options for Graduate Study in Medical Physics

• Thread starter Raioneru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the best advice for a physics major looking to pursue medical physics is to aim for a CAMPEP accredited program, maintain strong grades, and consider getting involved in research.
Raioneru
Hi I'm a physics major in my sophomore year.
Im currently at IndianaU-south bend (some hood you won't ever visit lol)
could you tell what you think about my possibilities??

ok, I applied to:

georgia state university
mercer university
howard university

my point:
I want to medical physics at Georgia tech as a graduate student later, so do you think going to to Howard U for example is a good move? I might try to transfer to University of Georgia, so please tell me, what you think about every single one of my choices (honestly :) )

thank you guys

Physics news on Phys.org
To my knowledge, Georgia Tech doesn't have a CAMPEP accredited medical physics program. While it may have a good program, my advice for anyone considering medical physics is to at least aim for a school that has this accreditation. The reason is that the cirriculum and staff qualifications have been independently verified and found to meet a standard necessary to prepare the student for a residency or junior physicist position on graduation. That's not to say that other programs such as Georgia Tech's do not meet this standard, only that that is hasn't been independently verified.

I don't know much about the undergraduate schools you've listed. My advice is to make sure whatever program you pursue has a solid physics program and that all the prerequisite courses you need to get into your program of choice are available to you. Some medical physics programs, for example, require at least one undergraduate anatomy and physiology course.

Other than that, the real concern is that graduate school in general, and medical physics programs in particular are very competative, so it will be important to keep your grades up, and perhaps get involved in a research project if at all possible.

Hello there! It's great to hear that you are a physics major and are considering graduate study in medical physics. I can tell you that medical physics is a fascinating and rapidly growing field, with many exciting opportunities for research and career growth.

Regarding your options for graduate study, I am not familiar with the specific programs at Georgia State University, Mercer University, and Howard University, so I cannot provide a detailed evaluation of each one. However, I can offer some general advice that can help you make an informed decision.

Firstly, it is important to choose a graduate program that aligns with your interests and long-term career goals. Since you are interested in medical physics, it would be beneficial to choose a program that has a strong focus on this field and offers courses and research opportunities related to it.

Furthermore, it is also important to consider the reputation and ranking of the graduate programs you are considering. This can give you an idea of the quality of education and research opportunities you can expect from each program. Additionally, you may want to look into the faculty members and their research areas in each program, as this can also play a crucial role in your graduate experience.

In terms of transferring to the University of Georgia, it is important to research the specific requirements and procedures for transferring into their physics program. Additionally, you may want to speak with advisors or current students at the University of Georgia to get a better understanding of the program and its strengths in medical physics.

Ultimately, the decision of which program to attend for your graduate studies is a personal one and should be based on your individual goals and preferences. I encourage you to thoroughly research each program and speak with advisors and current students to gain a better understanding of what each program has to offer. I wish you all the best in your future studies and career in medical physics!

1. What is a Physics major?

A Physics major is an undergraduate degree program that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It covers various topics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics.

2. What is Medical Physics?

Medical Physics is a specialized branch of physics that applies principles and techniques of physics to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. It involves the use of radiation, imaging techniques, and other technologies to improve the diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions.

3. What are the options for graduate study in Medical Physics at Howard University?

Howard University offers a Master of Science (M.S.) and a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree program in Medical Physics. Both programs provide students with a strong foundation in physics and its applications in the medical field.

4. What are the prerequisites for a graduate program in Medical Physics?

The prerequisites for a graduate program in Medical Physics at Howard University include a bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field, a strong background in mathematics and physics courses, and a minimum GPA of 3.0. Some programs may also require the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) and letters of recommendation.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the Medical Physics program at Howard University?

Graduates of the Medical Physics program at Howard University can pursue careers in various fields such as radiation oncology, diagnostic imaging, nuclear medicine, and medical device development. They can also work in hospitals, research facilities, government agencies, and private companies.