Is Leipzig University a good option for studying physics?

In summary, the courses at Leipzig are difficult because of the lack of help from the teachers. It is also difficult to work there because of the laws. However, if you have a good grades from a school in India, the university will be more likely to accept you.
HououinKyouma
Hello, I am considering this university as an option for when I will need to take admission in a university next year. From what I have seen on internet, the courses are difficult there because of teachers not helping much. How difficult is it? If I take an advanced mathematics course before going there, will I be fine?

I have some interest in particle physics so I may take up that in masters. is this university good for that?

Also, it seems like my parents' financial status is not that good right now and won't improve in the near future. I will probably consider loan options for covering my living costs there. But is there any alternative to this? Like any scholarship options perhaps? (I am a top-grader so maybe I have a chance?) or if I work there part-time, will that be enough to cover my costs? My parents can give me some funding but not enough to live on just that. I am a B1 level in German.

In case things don't work out for me and I have to do my bachelors from where I am (India) and I go for masters in Germany, will that be any different than getting a bachelors degree in Germany and then doing masters there?

Physics news on Phys.org
HououinKyouma said:
From what I have seen on internet, the courses are difficult there because of teachers not helping much.
Why do you want to go to Leipzig then?

There are various scholarships. You can look around but you can also ask the university. Good grades are a good start, but grades from India could be more difficult to compare.

Working might be difficult if you are not an EU citizen. Check the laws.
HououinKyouma said:
I have some interest in particle physics so I may take up that in masters. is this university good for that?
They have a bit of particle physics but they are not particularly known for that. Munich, Hamburg (with DESY), Heidelberg (with MPI), Darmstadt (with GSI), Karlsruhe (with KIT), Berlin, Aachen, Bonn are groups you see frequently, at least on the experimental side (although theory is often done at the same places). The abbreviations are research institutes with strong associations to these universities.
HououinKyouma said:
In case things don't work out for me and I have to do my bachelors from where I am (India) and I go for masters in Germany, will that be any different than getting a bachelors degree in Germany and then doing masters there?
Finding a place will be easier with a BSc from Germany. The universities will be more familiar with the grading scheme, the courses you attended and so on. In addition you will have better contacts to professors in Germany.

mfb said:
Why do you want to go to Leipzig then?
I am not scared of hard courses or anything. I was just thinking if there is any need to do any preparations or not. It's the only university that provides Physics in English at bachelors level and I don't think my German is good enough to actually study a subject like Physics.

Ah, courses in English help of course.

As far as I can see Leipzig doesn't have experimental particle physics at all. Here is their theory group. Anyway: That is probably not the main point here. You'll see many different areas of physics on the way to the BSc, you can decide what you like then.

I don't know the mathematics courses you had. You can check what the German Abitur contains in Saxony or elsewhere. While not all of these topics are necessary that is the overall level of things new students should know something about.

What is the history of Physics at Leipzig University?

The history of Physics at Leipzig University dates back to 1409 when the university was founded. However, the official department of Physics was established in 1807. Since then, it has been a pioneer in research and education, producing notable scientists such as Werner Heisenberg and Gustav Hertz.

What programs and degrees are offered in Physics at Leipzig University?

Leipzig University offers a variety of programs and degrees in Physics, including a Bachelor's degree in Physics, a Master's degree in Physics, and a Doctoral degree in Physics. Additionally, there are interdisciplinary programs such as Physics and Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science, and Physics and Philosophy.

What research opportunities are available in Physics at Leipzig University?

Physics at Leipzig University has a strong focus on research, with a wide range of research groups and projects in areas such as astrophysics, biophysics, and quantum physics. Students also have the opportunity to participate in research through internships and thesis projects.

What resources and facilities does the Physics department at Leipzig University have?

The Physics department at Leipzig University has state-of-the-art facilities, including laboratories, observatories, and computational resources. It also has a well-stocked library with a vast collection of books, journals, and online resources. Additionally, students have access to various workshops and equipment for their experiments and projects.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of Physics at Leipzig University?

Graduates of Physics at Leipzig University have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, industry, and academia. Many alumni have gone on to work at prestigious institutions and companies, both in Germany and internationally. The strong foundation in critical thinking and problem-solving skills provided by the program also prepares students for a variety of career paths.