1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics at UC Merced

1. Mar 16, 2013 #1
    Anyone have info on the physics department here?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I hear it's in California.

Seriously, that question is way too open-ended. You're going to have to tell us what kind of "info" you're looking for.

4. Mar 16, 2013 #3
    I realize it's still relatively new and may not have much of a reputation yet. But the department seems cool and interdisciplinary. Could the school's lack of reputation hurt anyone who wanted to go to graduate school there? In other words, would it even be worth it to go there at all, or would it be better to do research for another year and try to get better scores on the GRE in order to apply to more reputable schools? I just wouldn't want to be in a position where a prospective employer throws out a resume because it says PhD in physics from UC Merced.

Also, what would it be like living in the town? Do people go insane? I've heard it's in the middle of nowhere but I've also heard there's gangs and a lot of crime in Merced, so is it dangerous?

I'm considering applying there and there's no way I can get into top-tier programs at the moment so that's why I wanted to know.

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4
    Merced would really suck as a place to live. There is a reason it got hosed so badly in the housing crisis.

That said it is still a UC. Also, they are hungry to build a reputation, so that's good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook