Advice on Pursuing a Physics Degree: Belle's Story

In summary, the speaker has finished their AS exams and is considering studying physics at university. They are confident in their physics abilities but not in math. Their parents want them to study pharmacy but the speaker is hoping to get 4 As and pursue a plain 3 year physics degree. They are worried about the amount of statistics in the degree and are seeking advice. The speaker is considering applying to Cardiff University and plans to research their course content.
alias25
ive just finished my AS, havnt got my results back yet and i think i want to do physics at university. I am very good at physics, top of my class(not tryin to boast or anything) but i also took maths A level and I am not very confident with my maths. although all my friends think I am gd at it all :uhh: I am worried that i just raised my hopes and i'll end up stuck, my parents arn't any help, they want me to do pharmacy :mad: (boring). hoping to get 4 As. Does a say a plain 3 year physics degree have a lot of statistics (i don't really like) and what about in MPhys?
any opinions and advice will be helpful
thanks
belle

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't an overload of statistics. Statistical physics does play an important part in numerous fields in physics but it's most likely completely different than the statistics you've encountered in HS.

It'll probably depend where you go. For me, there wasn't that much. I had a Statistical Physics course in my 2nd year, but I won't in my 3rd year (because it's an option for me). I'm only doing BSc though. The MSci people have to do Statistical Physics in 3rd year, I think. If you get 4 As, that should be good. I got a B in A Level Maths and I did ok in the Maths I've done at uni. I don't like Statistics either though :).

im thinking of applying to Cardiff University its closest to where i live. i don't think i should have posted this thread here. hmm sorry itll probably be moved by the moderator ppl anyway.

Have a look at their site, you should be able to find some info about what's in their course.

1. What inspired you to pursue a physics degree?

I have always been fascinated by the laws and principles that govern our universe. I was constantly curious about how things worked and why they behaved the way they did. This curiosity led me to develop a passion for physics, and I knew that pursuing a degree in this field would allow me to explore and understand the world around me in a deeper and more meaningful way.

2. What challenges did you face while pursuing your degree in physics?

Physics is a challenging subject and requires a lot of hard work and dedication. Some of the challenges I faced included the intense workload, complex mathematical concepts, and conducting experiments that required precision and accuracy. However, with determination and support from my peers and professors, I was able to overcome these challenges and succeed in my studies.

3. What skills did you develop during your degree that have been useful in your career?

Studying physics not only taught me about the laws of the universe but also helped me develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. These skills have been invaluable in my career, as they allow me to approach challenges and tasks in a logical and systematic way. Additionally, my degree in physics has also helped me develop strong research skills, which have been beneficial in my current role as a scientist.

4. How did you manage your time while pursuing a physics degree?

Time management was crucial in balancing my studies, research, and extracurricular activities. I made sure to prioritize my tasks and create a schedule that allowed me to complete my coursework and assignments while also making time for self-care and relaxation. I also utilized study groups and worked on developing efficient study habits to make the most out of my time.

5. What advice do you have for aspiring physics students?

My advice would be to never give up, even when faced with challenges. Physics can be a difficult subject, but with hard work and persistence, you can overcome any obstacle. It's also essential to build a strong support system, whether it's through professors, peers, or mentors. And most importantly, never stop being curious and asking questions. There is always more to learn and discover in the field of physics.