Should I Study Physics at University?

In summary, physics at university requires a lot of maths, but it's worth it because you get a deeper understanding of the physics.
v_pino
I can't decide whether to do physics at university or not. I'm doing my A2 right now in the UK. Physics seems really interesting but I can't do maths too well. I got an A grade last year for AS and I'm predicted an A this year... but does physics at university require monster maths?

I was also thinking about going to the US to do my undergraduate degree... how is physics done at high school in the US compared to the UK? Would you say one is more difficult than the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I'm a 2nd year Physics student at Warwick, so I thought I'd chip in.

Physics is definitely maths heavy at uni, especially when you compare it to Physics A-level! But, the maths is a necessary 'evil', and in my opinion, the maths isn't such a bad thing. I find the maths and the derivations mean that the physics makes sense, and you definitely get a deeper insight. I wouldn't worry too much about the maths though, I would suggest that enthusiasm and interest for physics can overcome any slight difficulties you're having with your maths. I would class myself as about average at maths, and would like to think I'm doing pretty well at physics; a physical insight is much more valuable than being about to breeze through tonnes of maths exercises. If you don't mind me asking, how are you doing in A-level maths?

As for the US, I can't help you there. But good luck!

As for my maths grades, I've got A grades for all my modules so far, although I have to revise a lot to achieve it. But many of my friends do further maths which I don't. Is that a huge disadvantage??

And I don't know if it's okay to like physics without being a fan of maths.

v_pino said:
As for my maths grades, I've got A grades for all my modules so far, although I have to revise a lot to achieve it. But many of my friends do further maths which I don't. Is that a huge disadvantage??

And I don't know if it's okay to like physics without being a fan of maths.

Getting an A in every single module is fantastic, much better than I did! Congratulations! As for the furthermaths situation, it's definitely not a disadvantage, I didn't take it, and neither did most of my friends. You'll cover all the further maths stuff (that's relevant), in the first few weeks, and they assume that no-one's taken further maths. So, those who take further maths might have a relatively easy first few weeks, but it doesn't make any difference in the long run.

I'll try and give you a little taster of what maths is like in a Physics degree (Disclaimer: I can only speak from my experiences here at Warwick, so it might be different elsewhere!). Basically, for the first 2 years, you have dedicated maths lectures where you'll learn all the maths you need: vectors, complex numbers, differential equations, series/Taylor series/Fourier Series, Integrals, Fourier Transforms, Linear algebra...etc etc. These'll be taught in a stand-alone lecture series; a bit like taking physics and maths at a-level. You'll have problem sheets and exams and stuff to do for the Maths lectures- and they'll be similar to a-level maths questions, in the sense that they'll be maths problems, and they probably won't be set in any physical situation. Then, you'll be using the maths in Physics lectures, like in E&M, you'll be using vector calculus, and so it'll be more physics-y, and for me, it makes more sense in this kind of situations. Of course, this might well sound pretty scary, but you do get used to the whole lectures/lots of maths situation.

I would say that most people don't look forward to maths lectures, so it's not like we totally adore maths. But, obviously, if you hate the sight maths, and can't wait until you finish your maths A-level - then Physics isn't for you. At the end of the day, though, it's your choice, and it's up to you to make a decision that you feel comfortable with. What I will say, though, it seems that you have the ability and interest in physics to do well!

Hope that's helped. :blushing:

1. What career opportunities are available for someone who studies Physics at University?

Studying Physics at university can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and more. Physics graduates are highly sought after for their analytical and problem-solving skills, which are transferable to many industries.

2. Is studying Physics at University a difficult and time-consuming course?

Physics is a challenging subject, and studying it at university requires a significant amount of time and effort. However, with the right study habits and dedication, it is a highly rewarding and fascinating course that can lead to many exciting career paths.

3. What skills and qualities do I need to be successful in studying Physics at University?

A strong foundation in mathematics and a passion for understanding the natural world are essential for success in studying Physics at university. Other qualities that can be beneficial include critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail.

4. What are the key topics and areas of study in a Physics degree?

A Physics degree covers a broad range of topics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and astrophysics. Students will also learn about experimental methods, data analysis, and computational skills.

5. Can studying Physics at University lead to a well-paid and fulfilling career?

Yes, studying Physics at university can lead to a well-paid and fulfilling career in a variety of industries. Physics graduates are in high demand and often earn competitive salaries in fields such as engineering, research, data science, and finance.