Top Physics Authorities and their Must-Read Books: Hawking, Greene, and More!

• Thread starter BIGBANGSingh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the current "authorities" in the field of physics and their respective books. The mentioned authors include Stephen Hawking with "The Universe in a Nutshell," Brian Greene with "The Elegant Universe," and a list of popular physics textbook authors. It is mentioned that the real authorities in physics are those publishing papers in scientific journals. The conversation also touches upon the fact that physics does not necessarily bow down to authority and the importance of staying updated with current research.
BIGBANGSingh
Physics "Authorities"

Who are the current "authorities" in the field of physics, and what books have they written (preferably comprehensive)? Right now I can think of Stephen Hawking w/ "The Universe in a Nutshell," & Brian Greene w/ "The Elegant Universe." Please continue to add to this list...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't generally call either of those fellows "authorities." Real physics has nothing to do with paperback pop-sci books.

- Warren

I completely disagree with you Chroot, the Brief History of Time was first issued as a hardback not a paperback (actually if anyone has the first edition of this book, due to it's limited print run it's worth a lot more than you would of thought).

Stephen Hawking is very respected in cosmology especially quantum cosmology, though most physicists think that Brief History of Time isn't up to much even as a pop-sci book.

Brain Greene's hardly a physics giant, but I'm not sure how well he's respected in his field -string theory.

Unfortunately, I'm looking for comprehensive books. So then, who are the most respected authors in the physics field?

I don't know what you mean by 'comprehensive,' but I assume you mean 'technical.' Some of the best textbooks around are:

Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker
Modern Quantum Mechanics by J. J. Sakurai
Quarks and Leptons by Halzen and Martin
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths
Introduction to Elementary Particles by Griffiths
Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths
Mathematical Methods of Physics by Matthews and Walker
Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler
General Relativity by Wald
Gravitation by Misner, Thorne and Wheeler
Lectures on Physics by Feynman

etc., etc.

- Warren

Chroot,
LOL, that looks like the list I was thinging about, Perhaps you should add Jackson in the ElectroMagnetism list.

LOL at Chroot!

All you did was copy a list of popular physics textbook authors. The real physics authorities are the ones publishing papers in scientific journals. Read arXiv.org every day for three months. After a while you'll start to realize who knows their sh:t.

eNtRopY

But physics doesn't really bow down to authority anyway. Saying Witten, Ashtekar, or [name your own hero] doesn't say either what the physics community currently agrees on or what is currently going on in research.

So many cranks (present company excepted) think they have to refute Einstein, when what they really have to refute is current-day relativity. Same with Darwin. Finding an embarrassing quote from the great man doesn't affect current science at all.

Wouldn't the "Authorities", in physics, be the consensus of the persons, working/publishing, in the physics communities?

Originally posted by eNtRopY
LOL at Chroot!

All you did was copy a list of popular physics textbook authors. The real physics authorities are the ones publishing papers in scientific journals. Read arXiv.org every day for three months. After a while you'll start to realize who knows their sh:t.

eNtRopY
I'm aware. However, BIGBANGSingh asked for authors of books. Perhaps you should take the time to read the thread.

- Warren

Originally posted by BIGBANGSingh
Please continue to add to this list...

Make me.

1. Who are some of the top physics authorities mentioned in this article?

Some of the top physics authorities mentioned in this article include Stephen Hawking, Brian Greene, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Michio Kaku, and Lisa Randall.

2. What are some must-read books written by these top physics authorities?

Some must-read books written by these top physics authorities are "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku, and "Warped Passages" by Lisa Randall.

3. How have these top physics authorities contributed to the field of physics?

These top physics authorities have made significant contributions to the field of physics through their groundbreaking research, theories, and popularization of complex concepts. They have also inspired future generations of scientists through their work.

4. Are these books suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, these books are suitable for non-scientists as they are written in a way that is accessible and easy to understand for the general public. They also provide a great introduction to complex physics concepts.

5. Can these books be beneficial for students studying physics?

Yes, these books can be very beneficial for students studying physics as they provide a deeper understanding of the subject matter and offer new perspectives on complex theories. They can also serve as a great supplement to traditional textbooks.