1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics average speed

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the data table of displacement time data to get a line of best fit using your Ti-83 calculator. Once you have the equation, graph it so that you can answer the questions 1-5 that follow. Assume that the data below is for an object that is launched vertically upwards.

Time (sec) Displacment (m)
    0 9.3
    .5 15.075
    1.0 18.8
    1.5 20.475
    2.0 20.1

Using the information above, calculate the average speed for the object from 0.75 sec to 2.9 sec.

2. Relevant equations
    I've tried using the distance divided by time, but that hasn't worked, so I think the equation is actually where my problem is. The one I've tried mainly is average speed=change in distance/change in time

3. The attempt at a solution
    Time Displacement
    .75 17.193
    2.9 14.259

AS=(14.259-17.193)/(2.9-.75)
    AS= -1.36
    Which isn't right.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

I think your calculation is correct. So maybe there is something wrong with using the calculator's line of best fit as a model for the displacement against time?

4. Jan 3, 2012 #3
    I think the calculation might be wrong since -1.36 was correct as the answer for average velocity.

5. Jan 3, 2012 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This hint might help: Speed can never be negative. You need to know the distance (not displacement) traveled during the time interval.

p.s. Would your username be a reference to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook