Physics average velocity problem

In summary, Larry leaves home at 9:00 and runs at constant speed to the lamp post. He reaches the lamppost at 9:00 9.00, immediately turns, and runs to the tree. Larry arrives at the tree at 9: 12.0.
oldunion
Larry leaves home at 9:0 3.00 and runs at constant speed to the lamp post. He reaches the lamppost at 9:0 9.00, immediately turns, and runs to the tree. Larry arrives at the tree at 9: 12.0 0.

from 0-1200 yds. the lightpost is at 200, house at 600 and the tree at 1200

i keep getting absurd numbers like 155.55 yd/s, they want the answer in minutes. And unless larry is a jet that's not going to happen. Ill be up all night because I am lost in space :tongue:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If i may ask,how on Earth & Milky Way did u get yards/second,when u're given time intervals in minutes??

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
If i may ask,how on Earth & Milky Way did u get yards/second,when u're given time intervals in minutes??

Daniel.

because when I am thinking very hard i could mistake orange for black. Youre right it is in minutes. i got two realistic answers of 200yds/min and 155.55yds/min. both incorrect. i know the formula for ave velocity but still lost. 4 hours left till class, someone please

U need to draw a diagram.The first number is simple...Roughly 33yd/minute.For the second u need to take into account that he turns back to the house andthen goes to the tree to p**... :tongue2:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
U need to draw a diagram.The first number is simple...Roughly 33yd/minute.For the second u need to take into account that he turns back to the house andthen goes to the tree to p**... :tongue2:

Daniel.
yes, 33 plus 66 (from light to tree) this would be 99.99. wrong. well by this time I've already guess wrong about 7 times, which proves the ole creed "you never lose if you keep trying" completely defunct as my score is now laughably low. inches from giving up. mastering physics is the devil

Last edited:
redraw where things are mate
the guy running (both times) apparently increases his speed by a factor of 5 (which is really weird) in running from the lamp to the tree

no velocity is constant. this is the 2nd chapter of my physics book so its supposed to be easy. and i know for a fact the velocity is constant. and diagrams, i have 3 pages of scribbles. something about physics just never sat right with me.

the answer was 66.7, no credit. :frown:

1. What is average velocity in physics?

Average velocity in physics is a measure of an object's displacement over a certain period of time. It takes into account both the distance an object travels and the direction it moves in, making it a vector quantity.

2. How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time it took to travel that distance. The equation for average velocity is v = (d2 - d1) / (t2 - t1), where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is calculated over a certain period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous velocity takes into account any changes in an object's velocity over time, while average velocity only considers the overall change.

4. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if an object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. This indicates that the object's displacement is decreasing over time.

5. How does acceleration affect average velocity?

Acceleration impacts average velocity by changing an object's velocity over time. If an object is accelerating, its velocity will change and therefore the average velocity will be different than if the object was moving at a constant velocity.