C 12 physics problem: Water speed and duration of impact

• Thread starter faceblah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Iono thought because it was one of the last problem on that page so i don't think it can't be solved in like 1 linelol...it was really complicated, but umm someone else got 9.05 m/s and they did it in like one line. Iono thought because it was one of the last problem on that page so i don't think it can't be solved in like 1 lineSo you were guessing? You get most of your marks for being able to explain the physics. the right answer is worth very little if you can't explain
faceblah
I have the Giancoli text and I ran across this lvl III problem (pg 44 , #48) on the hmwk:

Suppose you adjust your garden hose nozzle for a hard stream of water. You point the nozzile vertically upwatd at a height of 1.5 m above the graound. When you quickly move the nozzle away from the vertical, you hear the water striking the ground next to you for another 2.0 secs. What is the speed as it leaves the nozzle

the drawing is something like this. The hose is the dash, the water is the x, the side dash is the length above the ground:

then it comes curving down in a parabola, the hose is 1.5 m from the ground

x
x
x
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
|
| > 1.5 m
|

- sorry for the bad illustration. I can't get it to work right

- I got 4.2 m/s after a bunch of algebra, can someone tell me if that's right and work it out possibly?

Physics news on Phys.org
faceblah said:
I have the Giancoli text and I ran across this lvl III problem (pg 44 , #48) on the hmwk:

Suppose you adjust your garden hose nozzle for a hard stream of water. You point the nozzile vertically upwatd at a height of 1.5 m above the graound. When you quickly move the nozzle away from the vertical, you hear the water striking the ground next to you for another 2.0 secs. What is the speed as it leaves the nozzle

the drawing is something like this. The hose is the dash, the water is the x, the side dash is the length above the ground:

then it comes curving down in a parabola, the hose is 1.5 m from the ground

x
x
x
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
|
| > 1.5 m
|

- sorry for the bad illustration. I can't get it to work right

- I got 4.2 m/s after a bunch of algebra, can someone tell me if that's right and work it out possibly?
Why don't you explain how you got it? What is the height that the water reaches? How is that related to the speed of the water?

AM

lol...it was really complicated, but umm someone else got 9.05 m/s and they did it in like one line. Iono thought because it was one of the last problem on that page so i don't think it can't be solved in like 1 line

faceblah said:
lol...it was really complicated, but umm someone else got 9.05 m/s and they did it in like one line. Iono thought because it was one of the last problem on that page so i don't think it can't be solved in like 1 line
So you were guessing? You get most of your marks for being able to explain the physics. the right answer is worth very little if you can't explain how you got it.

What determines how long the water continues to hit the ground after the water stops going up? How does that related to the speed of the water?

AM

What is "Physics B problem check"?

"Physics B problem check" is a method used by students and teachers to check their understanding of physics concepts and problem-solving techniques.

Why is "Physics B problem check" important?

"Physics B problem check" is important because it allows students to identify areas where they may need further practice or clarification, and helps teachers assess the effectiveness of their teaching methods.

How does "Physics B problem check" work?

"Physics B problem check" typically involves solving a series of physics problems, either on paper or through online platforms, and comparing the answers to a provided solution or to the answers of classmates.

Can "Physics B problem check" be used for all levels of physics?

Yes, "Physics B problem check" can be used for all levels of physics, from introductory courses to advanced topics. The difficulty and complexity of the problems may vary depending on the level of the course.

Is "Physics B problem check" a substitute for studying and practicing physics regularly?

No, "Physics B problem check" is not a substitute for regular studying and practicing of physics concepts and problems. It is meant to be used as a supplement to traditional learning methods.