Calculate Mass of Unknown Planet with Physics B Ques.

• Thread starter cyspope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, in order to find the mass of the unknown planet with a radius of 3560 m, we can use the formula M = gr2 / G. By finding the acceleration of the astronaut, which is approximately 9 m/s2, we can then solve for the mass of the planet. This could suggest that the planet may be a neutron star due to the high acceleration.
cyspope

Homework Statement

An astronaut lands on an unknown planet with a radius of 3560 m. When she jumps upward with an initial speed of 3.00m/s she rises to a height of 0.50 m. What is the mass of the planet?

Homework Equations

d = rt
x = x0 + v0t + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]at2
M = gr2 / G

The Attempt at a Solution

0.5 m / (3.0m/s) = [tex]\frac{1}{6}[/tex]s
0.5 = 0 + 3[tex]\frac{1}{6}[/tex]s + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]a[tex]\frac{1}{6}[/tex]2
0.5 = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]a[tex]\frac{1}{36}[/tex]
a = 0 m/s2?

I have no idea what to do. please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to get the value of the acceleration from the information given about the motion of the astronaut. Look for an accelerated motion formula with distance but not time in it. Put in the numbers and solve for a.

Your calc getting 1/6 second looks like a d = vt, which does not apply to accelerated motion.

In order to find the acceleration(gravity of the planet in this case) of the astronaut, I used following formula.

vf2 = v02 + 2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]X

If I solve for 'a', then I get

a = (vf2-vo2 / 2[tex]\Delta[/tex]X

I pluged in the numbers,

a = (9m/s) / 2(0.5 m) = 9 m/s2

which doesn't make sense because the radius of the planet is only 3560 m.

please help me what to do next.

I got 9, too. Maybe it is a neutron star or something.
Use this value of g to find M. Your formula M = gr2 / G should do it.

1. How do you calculate the mass of an unknown planet using physics?

The mass of an unknown planet can be calculated using the following formula: M = (4π2r3)/(GT2) where M is the mass of the planet, r is the distance from the planet to its sun, G is the universal gravitational constant, and T is the period of the planet's orbit.

2. What is the role of the universal gravitational constant in calculating the mass of an unknown planet?

The universal gravitational constant, denoted as G, is a fundamental constant in physics that determines the strength of gravitational attraction between two objects. It is a crucial component in the formula for calculating the mass of an unknown planet as it relates the planet's mass to its distance from its sun and the period of its orbit.

3. Can the mass of an unknown planet be calculated with only one piece of information?

No, the mass of an unknown planet cannot be calculated with only one piece of information. The formula for calculating the mass of a planet requires at least two pieces of information: the distance between the planet and its sun, and the period of the planet's orbit.

4. How do you determine the period of an unknown planet's orbit?

The period of an unknown planet's orbit can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the planet to complete one full orbit around its sun. This can be done using telescopes and other astronomical instruments to track the planet's movement over a period of time.

5. Are there any limitations to using physics to calculate the mass of an unknown planet?

Yes, there are some limitations to using physics to calculate the mass of an unknown planet. The formula for calculating the mass assumes that the planet has a circular orbit and does not take into account any external gravitational forces or other factors that may affect the planet's movement. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation may also be affected by the precision of the measurements used to obtain the necessary information.