1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics B.S., What now?

1. Sep 16, 2015 #1
    So, I've finally switched my major to a Physics B.S. I am a 2nd year, sophomore, previously Chem. Eng.. I didn't switch after the start of the semester so I am missing out on some physics classes, but am planning to make those up later, and have went through a few of those classes' textbooks, and did tests for each chapter. I've done intro to Quantum using Griffiths 1st edition, Fluids, and Thermo. through textbooks. I am only mentioning this to give an idea of what experience I've have with physics classes.

Anyway, my main question is now, how do I go about choosing the field I want to go into once I do my PhD. From all the physics I've done so far, I love all of it. My main issue now is choosing between subjects, but I can't imagine myself doing that. I would like to learn everything, but I know that is not realistic. How can I possibly make up my mind, or at least even some tips on deciding what I would want to do?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Search for Zapperz's thread "So You Want to be a Physicist". He outlines the steps and phases you'll go through to become a PhD level physicist.

Also Gerard T'Hooft has a website on becoming a theoretical physicist which you can find via google.

4. Sep 16, 2015 #3
    Thank you, I appreciate it.

5. Sep 16, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

6. Sep 17, 2015 #5
    Most people just pick a sub area that they think is exceptionally cool and they find a prof doing compatible research and they roll with it; I listened to a presentation about ITER (so fusion plasma physics) some time mid way between being a sophomore and a junior in physics and I thought the field sounded really interesting (plus I like E&M, thermo and fluids so it fit) and fortunately had a professor doing plasma research at my home university so I did research with him till senior year.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook