Physics B.S.: Deciding Field for PhD

• Thread starter Destroxia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: He also recommended a few other professors who I researched with as well.In summary, if you're interested in a field and you're comfortable with research, go ahead and research a few professors to see if they have compatible research and you'll be good to go.
Destroxia
So, I've finally switched my major to a Physics B.S. I am a 2nd year, sophomore, previously Chem. Eng.. I didn't switch after the start of the semester so I am missing out on some physics classes, but am planning to make those up later, and have went through a few of those classes' textbooks, and did tests for each chapter. I've done intro to Quantum using Griffiths 1st edition, Fluids, and Thermo. through textbooks. I am only mentioning this to give an idea of what experience I've have with physics classes.

Anyway, my main question is now, how do I go about choosing the field I want to go into once I do my PhD. From all the physics I've done so far, I love all of it. My main issue now is choosing between subjects, but I can't imagine myself doing that. I would like to learn everything, but I know that is not realistic. How can I possibly make up my mind, or at least even some tips on deciding what I would want to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Search for Zapperz's thread "So You Want to be a Physicist". He outlines the steps and phases you'll go through to become a PhD level physicist.

Also Gerard T'Hooft has a website on becoming a theoretical physicist which you can find via google.

jedishrfu said:
Search for Zapperz's thread "So You Want to be a Physicist". He outlines the steps and phases you'll go through to become a PhD level physicist.

Also Gerard T'Hooft has a website on becoming a theoretical physicist which you can find via google.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

RyanTAsher said:
So, I've finally switched my major to a Physics B.S. I am a 2nd year, sophomore, previously Chem. Eng.. I didn't switch after the start of the semester so I am missing out on some physics classes, but am planning to make those up later, and have went through a few of those classes' textbooks, and did tests for each chapter. I've done intro to Quantum using Griffiths 1st edition, Fluids, and Thermo. through textbooks. I am only mentioning this to give an idea of what experience I've have with physics classes.

Anyway, my main question is now, how do I go about choosing the field I want to go into once I do my PhD. From all the physics I've done so far, I love all of it. My main issue now is choosing between subjects, but I can't imagine myself doing that. I would like to learn everything, but I know that is not realistic. How can I possibly make up my mind, or at least even some tips on deciding what I would want to do?

Most people just pick a sub area that they think is exceptionally cool and they find a prof doing compatible research and they roll with it; I listened to a presentation about ITER (so fusion plasma physics) some time mid way between being a sophomore and a junior in physics and I thought the field sounded really interesting (plus I like E&M, thermo and fluids so it fit) and fortunately had a professor doing plasma research at my home university so I did research with him till senior year.

1. What is a Physics B.S. degree and how does it differ from other physics degrees?

A Physics B.S. (Bachelor of Science) degree is an undergraduate degree that focuses on the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world. It differs from other physics degrees, such as a Physics B.A. (Bachelor of Arts) or a Physics engineering degree, in that it places a greater emphasis on theoretical and mathematical concepts rather than applied or practical aspects of physics.

2. What career opportunities are available for someone with a Physics B.S. degree?

A Physics B.S. degree provides a strong foundation for a variety of career paths. Some common career opportunities include research positions in academia or industry, engineering roles, data analysis and modeling, and teaching at the high school or college level. Graduates with a Physics B.S. degree also have the option to pursue further education, such as a PhD, in a specific field of physics.

3. How does a Physics B.S. degree prepare someone for a PhD program?

A Physics B.S. degree provides a strong foundation in core concepts and principles of physics, as well as valuable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. These are essential for success in a PhD program, where students are expected to conduct independent research and contribute original findings to their field of study. Additionally, the rigorous coursework and research experience gained during a B.S. degree can help students determine their specific interests and areas of focus for their PhD studies.

4. What factors should be considered when deciding which field of physics to pursue for a PhD?

When considering which field of physics to pursue for a PhD, it is important to consider your personal interests, strengths, and career goals. You should also research the current trends and advancements in different fields of physics, as well as potential job opportunities and funding opportunities for PhD students. It can also be helpful to speak with professors or professionals in different fields of physics to gain insight and advice.

5. Are there any specific skills or experiences that can enhance an application for a PhD program in physics?

In addition to a strong academic background, there are several skills and experiences that can enhance an application for a PhD program in physics. These may include research experience, involvement in relevant extracurricular activities or organizations, strong letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement that highlights your passion and potential for research in your chosen field. It can also be beneficial to have experience with advanced mathematics and programming languages commonly used in physics research, such as MATLAB or Python.