1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics BA vs. BS

1. Apr 6, 2016 #1
    So next year I am going to be a freshmen physics major at Virgina Tech. I was wondering if there was anybody that could explain the difference in difficulty with a physics BA vs. BS (if there is one) at Virginia Tech and if one is "better" than the other. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The B.A. is Bachelor of the Arts and the B.S. is Bachelor of Science. A thread about this is right here:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/ba-vs-bs.193362/
    A B.S. is probably more meticulous and challenging. Why would you want to go into physics for only a bachelor's degree?

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3
    It's a little complicated but basically I'm going to be a cadet at VT doing Air Force ROTC and I'm concerned about time management between ROTC and my major. Because of this only a bachelors is in the foreseeable future. Thanks.

5. Apr 6, 2016 #4

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't believe that B.A. versus B.S. matters then (if at all). It's only undergrad work, so, even if you did want to pursue physics further, a mere title shouldn't affect anything.

6. Apr 6, 2016 #5
    Okay thanks for the info. Now, do you know to what extent a B.A. is easier than a B.S.? Is there a minor difference or a significant one? Because if there is only a minor difference, then I might as well just stick with the B.S., right?

7. Apr 6, 2016 #6

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It really doesn't matter. Lots of times, schools can offer both both degrees with same requirements/prerequisites. Pick what you want (I'd go for B.S., IMO, though).

8. Apr 6, 2016 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The VT web site probably lists the course requirements for the two degrees. What are the differences between them?

9. Apr 7, 2016 #8
    They offer a B.A. and a B.S. but only have a course catalog for a B.S.

10. Apr 7, 2016 #9

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

You can find checksheets with detailed course requirements for all degrees here:

http://www.registrar.vt.edu/graduation/checksheets/a-z/index.html [Broken]

Enter "physics" in the search box. They don't seem to have ones for 2020 yet (your graduating class?), so choose 2018 as the most recent.

From the physics overview page:

http://www.undergradcatalog.registrar.vt.edu/1516/science/phys.html

It looks like there are serveral versions of the B.A. depending on what it's going to be combined with.

At some point VT will probably assign you an academic advisor. Ask him/her about it. Since you're going to be in ROTC, you should probably also talk to somebody in the ROTC program. They're surely used to advising their students about issues like this.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted