Physics Basics for Microbiology / Molecular Medicine?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person who is applying for a program in molecular medicine and needs to review their Physics knowledge for the admissions exams. They haven't studied Physics in 2-3 years and are looking for resources, such as a website or book, to refresh their understanding. The person also mentions that most of the final score is based on math, chemistry, and biology, but they are worried about the Physics section. They specifically ask for recommendations for a "physics for dummies" type of resource.
Adrian
Hi everybody, I'm about to apply for a program in molecular medicine and need to freshen up my Physics for the admissions exams... haven't had any Physics for 2-3 years :rolleyes: so I guess I'd better get busy. Most of the final score is math, chem and biology anyway (which I enjoy), but there's also that physics section and that one I'm worried about. :biggrin: :surprise:

Does anyone have a link to a good website or the title of a book for basic undergrad physics for the life sciences? I'm looking for something like "physics for dummies" to get myself started on the topic...

Thanks a bunch!

Biology news on Phys.org
Many "physics for Medicine" books listed here.

1. What is the relationship between physics and microbiology/molecular medicine?

Physics and microbiology/molecular medicine are two seemingly different fields, but they are actually closely intertwined. Physics provides the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of atoms, molecules, and cells, which are the building blocks of microbiology and molecular medicine. Many techniques used in these fields, such as microscopy and spectroscopy, rely on principles of physics to observe and manipulate biological systems.

2. How does understanding physics help in studying microbiology/molecular medicine?

Understanding the principles of physics is crucial in studying microbiology/molecular medicine because it allows scientists to explain and predict the behavior of biological systems. Physics concepts such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and mechanics are applied to understand biological processes such as cell division, enzyme reactions, and DNA replication. This knowledge also helps in developing new technologies and treatments for diseases.

3. What are some important physics concepts that are relevant to microbiology/molecular medicine?

Some important physics concepts in microbiology/molecular medicine include thermodynamics, diffusion, osmosis, electromagnetism, and optics. These concepts are used to understand how biological systems function at a molecular level and how they respond to external stimuli. For example, thermodynamics helps in understanding how cells maintain their internal environment, while optics is used in techniques such as fluorescence microscopy to visualize cellular structures and processes.

4. How are physics principles applied in medical imaging?

Medical imaging techniques, such as X-rays, MRI, and ultrasound, all rely on principles of physics to produce images of the human body. X-rays use the principle of absorption to create images of bones and tissues, while MRI uses the principle of nuclear magnetic resonance to produce images of organs and soft tissues. Ultrasound uses the principle of sound waves to create images of internal structures. Understanding these principles is essential for accurate diagnosis and treatment of diseases.

5. Can studying physics help in understanding the mechanisms of diseases?

Yes, studying physics can provide valuable insights into the mechanisms of diseases. For example, understanding the properties of electric fields can help in understanding how ion channels malfunction in diseases such as cystic fibrosis. Studying fluid mechanics can also aid in understanding how blood flow is affected in cardiovascular diseases. Additionally, knowledge of physics can aid in developing new technologies for disease diagnosis and treatment, such as nanotechnology-based drug delivery systems.