1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics board question

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    Can't remember how the question is exactly asked but its something like this. A block is resting on a board and the board is at an angle of 15 degrees with the horizontal. What is the force on the block?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Does the problem want a numeric answer or a symbolic answer? What are the given quantities? Those kinds of things you need to know before you can answer the question properly.

4. Nov 23, 2009 #3
    Numeric
    I was told to just do the tangent of 15 degrees but idt thats right..

5. Nov 23, 2009 #4
    Yeah there looking for force normal I believe but the question doesnt give a weight of the board... so this doesn't make sense.

6. Nov 23, 2009 #5

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Pardon me, but could it be one of those trick questions?
    The block is "resting" suggests it is not accelerating. Therefore the total force on it is zero.

There is quite an explanation of how to find the components of the force of gravity on a ramp here: http://www.physics247.com/physics-homework-help/slope.php

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook