What are some recommended books for studying mathematical physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a PhD student's interest in algebraic/complex geometry and mathematical physics, specifically in string theory, quantum computers, condensed matter, and cosmology. Recommendations for courses and books on quantum computing, analytical mechanics, and quantum information are given, along with suggestions for further research through Google and edx. The conversation also touches on the importance of mechanics as a foundation for other fields.
XCodeX
Hi All. It is my first post here. I am PhD student studying algebraic/complex geometry. I am very interested in mathematical physics. I am currently enrolled in two courses in coursera electrodynamics and thermodynamics. Can someone suggest what courses I should enrol in or study plus books ? I am interested in string theory, quantum computers, condensed matter, and cosmology.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes XCodeX

1. What are some good introductory physics books for beginners?

Some good introductory physics books for beginners include "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths.

2. Are there any physics books that are easy to understand for non-scientists?

Yes, there are many physics books written for non-scientists that are easy to understand. Some examples include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking.

3. What are some advanced physics books for those with a strong background in the subject?

Some advanced physics books for those with a strong background in the subject include "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki, "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, and "Statistical Mechanics" by R.K. Pathria.

4. Can you recommend any physics books that cover multiple branches of physics?

Yes, there are many physics books that cover multiple branches of physics. Some examples include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Cosmic Landscape" by Leonard Susskind.

5. Are there any physics books that focus specifically on a certain topic or concept?

Yes, there are many physics books that focus specifically on a certain topic or concept. Some examples include "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne, "The Theory of Everything" by Stephen Hawking, and "The Holographic Universe" by Michael Talbot.