Where Can I Find Affordable Physics Books for My University Studies?

Amazon.In summary, the conversation is about a person needing help finding expensive and copyrighted physics books. They mention specific titles and express their financial limitations. The expert suggests checking Amazon for used copies at a reasonable price.
andreiberceanu
i would very much appreciate any help with this:)
i need to get
1. Ryogo Kubo's book "Thermodynamics" (1968)
2. Arnold Sommerfeld "Thermodynamics and Statistical physics" (not 100% sure on the title)
3. Jackson, "Classical Electrodynamics"

i know they're copyrighted, and very expensive, i study physics at the physics university in bucharest, romania, and buying those books is well beyond my financial capabilities :(, but i really need them
i manadged to get Goldstein's "Classical Mechanics" textbook using eMule, but i can't find any of these books on it:(

sorry to bother you and thanks a lot, in advance
Andrei

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can find all of those for a very reasonable price on Amazon, if you go for used ones.

For example,
3. Jackson, "Classical Electrodynamics"

Just $28

There are a few options for finding affordable physics books for your university studies. First, check with your university's library to see if they have any of these books available for borrowing. Many university libraries have a wide selection of textbooks for students to use.

Another option is to look for used books online. Websites like Amazon, eBay, and AbeBooks offer used textbooks at lower prices than buying them new. You can also try searching for these books on websites like Chegg or TextbookRush, which specialize in renting or selling used textbooks at discounted prices.

If you are unable to find these books at a lower cost, you may want to consider reaching out to your professors or classmates to see if they have any extra copies or know of any resources for obtaining affordable textbooks. Additionally, some professors may be able to provide digital copies of the textbooks for their students.

Lastly, consider joining online forums or groups for physics students where you can connect with others who may have the books you need or can provide recommendations for affordable options. Good luck with your studies!

1. Where can I find affordable physics books for my university studies?

There are several options for finding affordable physics books for your university studies. One option is to check your university's library, as they often have a wide selection of physics books available for borrowing. Another option is to purchase used books from online marketplaces such as Amazon or eBay. Additionally, you can also try searching for digital versions of the books, as they may be available at a lower cost or even for free.

2. How can I save money on purchasing physics books for my university studies?

Aside from purchasing used or digital versions of the books, you can also try renting the books from your university's library or from online rental services. Another option is to form a study group with classmates and share the cost of purchasing the books together. This can help lower the cost for each individual.

3. Are there any websites that offer discounted physics books for students?

Yes, there are several websites that offer discounted books specifically for students. Some popular websites include Chegg, TextbookRush, and Half Price Books. These websites often have a wide selection of physics books available at discounted prices for students.

4. Can I sell back my physics books after I am finished with them?

Yes, many universities and bookstores offer buyback programs where you can sell back your textbooks after you are finished with them. This is a great way to recoup some of the cost of purchasing the books. Additionally, you can also try selling the books online through websites such as Amazon or eBay.

5. Are there any online resources for free physics textbooks?

Yes, there are several websites that offer free physics textbooks for students. Some popular options include OpenStax, Project Gutenberg, and Bookboon. These websites offer a variety of physics textbooks that can be accessed for free, which can be a great option for students on a tight budget.