Physics: Box sliding down an inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration of a 10kg block on a frictionless inclined plane connected to a 20kg block via a pulley. The solution involves using the equations 196N-T=20kg*a and T-56N=10kg*a, where T represents the tension in the rope. The author chooses to use the 56N force instead of the 80N force, leading to the equation T-56N=10kg*a. By combining this equation with the equation for the freely hanging block, the solution is found to be a=4.7 m/s/s. The discussion also includes different points of view and a clarification of the forces involved.
undertow2005
i'm trying to learn this stuff on my own so please bear with me.
here's the problem:

you have two mass, a 10kg on a frictionless 35 degree inclined plane, which is attached to 20kg mass via a pulley cord to hang vertically. Whats the aceleration?

Solution:

for the box hanging freely they got this equation, 196N-T=20kg*acclerertion----i understand this

To get the equation for the box on the plane they did this:
98Nsin35=56N
98cos35=80N

out of these two results, 56n and 80N, they choose 56N to get the equation for the box which is T-56N=10kg*a
my question is why they they choose to use 56N and not 80N which would have resulted in the equation T-80N=10*a

continuing the solution the book has, they combined the two equations, 196N-T=20kg*a and T-56N=10kg*a to get this:
140N30kg*a
a=4.7 m/s/s I understand this part also.

Physics news on Phys.org
"To get the equation for the box on the plane they did this:
98Nsin35=56N
98cos35=80N

out of these two results, 56n and 80N, they choose 56N to get the equation for the box which is T-56N=10kg*a
my question is why they they choose to use 56N and not 80N which would have resulted in the equation T-80N=10*a"

The tangent vector along the inclined plane has the form:
[tex]\vec{T}=\cos35\vec{i}+\sin35\vec{j}[/tex]

(Agreed?)

Clearly, the weight of the block on the plane works in the vertical direction,
that is:
[tex]\vec{W}=-Mg\vec{j}[/tex]
where M is the mass of the block.

Now, clearly, only the component of the weight along the plane (i.e parallell to the plane) contributes to the block's acceleration.
The component of the weight along the plane normal (90 degrees on the plane) is offset by a normal force from the ground.

Try to establish the component of the weight along the inclined plane!

I'm a little stumped as well. There's always a couple different points of view you can use to set these up, with one usually being easier to visualize than the others. A picture is worth a thousand words in a lot of cases, this being a good example. If the reader doesn't visualize the position of the pulley correctly, there is no way to solve the problem.

If you cut the rope between the 10kg block and the pulley, there is only one force acting on the block - the force of gravity (9.8 m/sec^2) times the mass of the block to give you a 98 N force acting on the block with the direction of the force being straight down. The 10kg block can only move one direction - down the inclined plane.

If you set the block's only possible direction of motion as the principal direction, the force is at a 55 degree angle to the only possible direction of movement. Multiplying the force times the cosine of 55 degrees (which happens to equal the sine of 35 degrees) provides the component of the force along the block's direction of movement. The force times the sine of 55 degrees gives you how much force is directed perpendicular to the plane's inclined surface and, being perpendicualr, it contributes nothing to the object's motion down the inclined plane. So, you could say the block is accelerating down the inclined plane at 3.5 meters/second^2.

Since the author used the sine of 35 degrees as the force directed down the inclined surface of the plane, he obviously took a different point of view. Doesn't matter, sometimes the easiest point of view to take is a subjective matter.

If you don't cut the rope, you have another force acting on the object. Without a picture, there's no way to know what direction that force is coming from.

If the pulley is directly above the 10kg block, there is a 196N force straight up - directly opposite the force of gravity and there's no need to worry about the sine or cosine. So, I'm assuming this isn't the way the picture is drawn in the book (unless the author of the problem became a little confused).

If the pulley is at the high end of the ramp, positioned so the rope runs along the inclined surface to the 10kg block, whatever force results from the 20kg block is directed parallel to the surface of the inclined plane from the bottom of the plane towards the top. Then the equations the problem used make sense. There is a 196N force pulling from the low end of the incline to the high end directly opposite the 56N force accelerating the 10kg block down the ramp.

thanks alot, i understand it now

1. What is the equation for calculating the acceleration of a box sliding down an inclined plane?

The equation for calculating acceleration in this scenario is acceleration = (gravity x sinθ) - friction, where θ is the angle of the incline and friction is the force acting against the movement of the box.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the acceleration of the box?

The angle of the incline directly affects the acceleration of the box. The steeper the incline, the greater the acceleration will be. This is because there is a larger component of the force of gravity acting parallel to the incline, resulting in a greater net force and therefore a greater acceleration.

3. What role does friction play in the movement of the box down the inclined plane?

Friction acts as a resistive force against the movement of the box. It is dependent on the coefficient of friction between the surfaces of the box and the incline. As the coefficient of friction increases, the force of friction also increases, slowing down the acceleration of the box.

4. How does the weight of the box affect its acceleration down the inclined plane?

The weight (or mass) of the box does not affect its acceleration down the inclined plane. The acceleration is only dependent on the net force acting on the box, which is determined by the angle of the incline, the force of gravity, and the force of friction.

5. Can the box ever reach a point of constant velocity while sliding down the inclined plane?

Yes, the box can reach a point of constant velocity if the force of friction is equal to the component of gravity acting parallel to the incline. At this point, the net force on the box is zero and it will continue moving at a constant velocity down the inclined plane.