1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Buoyancy Problem

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Frensley_Fluids_Bernoulli_001.gif

Consider a hose that carries water (density = 1000 kg/m3) leads to a nozzle that is elevated h = 1.3 meters above the ground. The nozzle has a diameter d, and the hose has a diameter D = 5d. Water flows through the hose with a speed vH = 0.6 m/s.

(a) What is the speed of the water as it leaves the nozzle?

(b) What is the gauge pressure of the water in the hose at ground level?

2. Relevant equations

P+pgh+(1/2)pV^2 = P+pgh+(1/2)pV^2
    Area * V = Area * V

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm confused on the part where the hose is elevated upward, I know the velocity decreases, but I don't know by how much.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Is water compressible or incompressible? What does that imply for the flow rate at any point along the (constant diameter) hose?

4. Dec 12, 2012 #3
    It is compressible, does that mean it stays the same throughout?

5. Dec 12, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Are you guessing? If water is compressible, why can't we store a cubic meter of water in a one liter container? :smile:

For all practical purposes, water is NOT compressible. So for a filled, constant diameter pipe, the flow rate must be the same everywhere -- otherwise, wouldn't water "pile up" behind the slow regions and "thin out" in the speedy ones?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook