1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics by the Proportion

1. Apr 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a particular spring is compressed 10 cm, it can launch a marble horizontally at 75 cm/s. How much must it be compressed to launch the marble horizontally at 150 cm/s?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My guess is that the spring force needs to be doubled in order for the marble to reach double the height. Is this right? I feel like this is way too simple for my physics professor to put on an exam. I feel like there has to be something else like equations to try and solve this.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's always simple to guess an answer. What about trying to work it out?

4. Apr 20, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are several different ways to work this out. For example, if you know the force applied by the spring at each amount of compression, x, you can calculate the acceleration and so the speed as it leaves the spring. Or, if you know the potential energy of a spring at a given compression then you can calculate the kinetic energy when all that energy is converted from potential to kinetic energy and so get the speed.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  5. Apr 20, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The question asks about doubling the speed, but in your 'attempt' you mention doubling the height. If you think one implies the other then you are wrong. Also, it does say horizontally, so I'm not sure how height would come into it.
    As Halls suggests, think about energy. How do doubled compression, doubled speed and doubled height relate to energy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted