Preparing for Physics C: Calculus or No?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether taking physics C in junior year without having taken calculus would put the student at a disadvantage. It is mentioned that calculus may not be necessary for the first physics course, but it becomes beneficial in higher level courses. The conversation also suggests using external resources, such as books or websites, to learn calculus.
Josh0768
If I take physics C next year (I am a junior in high school), will I be at a disadvantage if I have not taken calculus yet?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was a junior in my first physics course in high school, and did not have calculus until my senior year, where I had a second chem/physics course. In one case in the physics course in my junior year, I remember solving the minimum of a parabolic function by simply using algebraic techniques, where calculus would have offered a solution by setting the derivative of the function equal to zero. If Physics C is the first physics course, calculus can be helpful but isn't necessary. If "C" stands for physics course 3, by then, calculus is very beneficial, but I'd be surprised if a high school has already given you two physics classes by your junior year.

Physics C is a calculus based physics course so you would be in a disadvantage, but you could use sources such as khan academy or other websites or books to learn calculus. I highly recommend reading the book- No bullshit guide to math and physics by Ivan Savov, this book goes over the essentials of calculus and goes over it with physics examples.

1. How is Physics C: Calculus different from other physics courses?

Physics C: Calculus is an advanced physics course that covers topics in both mechanics and electricity and magnetism. Unlike other physics courses, it requires a strong understanding of calculus and its application to physics principles.

2. Do I need to have taken calculus before enrolling in Physics C?

While it is not a requirement, it is highly recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus before taking Physics C. Many of the concepts and problems in the course will involve the use of calculus, so having prior knowledge will make the course more manageable.

3. How should I prepare for Physics C: Calculus?

To prepare for Physics C, it is important to have a solid understanding of both calculus and physics fundamentals. Reviewing concepts from previous math and science courses, practicing problem solving, and familiarizing yourself with calculus-based physics problems will help you prepare for the course.

4. Is it necessary to have a graphing calculator for Physics C?

While not required, having a graphing calculator can be very helpful for solving complex problems and visualizing physics concepts. It is recommended to have a graphing calculator with you during the course, but check with your instructor to see if there are any specific calculator requirements.

5. What can I expect from the workload in Physics C: Calculus?

Physics C is an advanced course, so the workload will likely be more intensive compared to other physics courses. You can expect to spend time outside of class reviewing concepts, practicing problem solving, and completing assignments. It is important to stay on top of the material and seek help when needed.