Explanation for the discrepancy in points for part A and B.

In summary: Is 1.5m the distance fallen or something else?In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment to determine the spring constant of an elastic cord by hanging the cord from a rod and attaching different weights to it. The data is recorded in a table and used to calculate the spring constant. The conversation also discusses finding the mass of an object attached to the cord and calculating its maximum speed at a specific point of free fall. The use of different equations and incorrect values are also mentioned.
Dreamshot

Homework Statement

In an experiment to determine the spring constant of an elastic cord of length 0.60 m, a student hangs the cord from a rod as represented above and then attaches a variety of weights to the cord. For each weight, the student allows the weight to hang in equilibrium and then measures the entire length of the cord. The data are recorded
in the table below:
Weight (N) 0 10 15 20 25
Length (m) 0.60 0.97 1.24 1.37 1.64

a) Determine an experimental value for the spring constant k of the cord.

The student now attaches an object of unknown mass m to the cord and holds the object adjacent to the point at
which the top of the cord is tied to the rod, as represented above. When the object is released from rest, it falls
1.5 m before stopping and turning around. Assume that air resistance is negligible.

(b) Calculate the value of the unknown mass m of the object.

(c) i. Calculate how far down the object has fallen at the moment it attains its maximum speed.

ii. Explain why this is the point at which the object has its maximum speed.

iii. Calculate the maximum speed of the object.

Homework Equations

In part A I used 1/2kx^2. 10 N = 1/2k(.97)^2. I calculated it out and got k=21.3 N/m. My instructor gave me 2/3 points on this part. Why?

In part B I set Uel equal to U. 1/2kx^2 = mgh. I used 1.5m as x, which was circled on my paper as wrong. What should I have used?

The Attempt at a Solution

2/3 possible points on A, as described above.
2/3 possible points on B, as described above.
0 points on C i
0 points on C ii
0 points on C iii

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dreamshot: h = cord initial length (mass initial height) = 0.6 m. In part a, use F = k*x, not spring strain energy. Therefore, 10 N = k*(0.97 m - h). Average all four measured points. In part b, m*g*(h - x4) = 0.5*k*x4^2, where x4 = h - 1.5 m. For part c.i, d = distance fallen = h - x3, where x3 = -m*g/k. For part c.ii, there is a net force downward for any position above this position. For part c.iii, use conservation of energy to solve for the velocity when the mass is at the position stated in part c.i. Thus, m*g*h + 0 + 0 = m*g*x3 + 0.5*m*v3^2 + 0.5*k*x3^2.

Try it again and see if you get correct answers for all five questions now.

Dreamshot said:
In part A I used 1/2kx^2. 10 N = 1/2k(.97)^2. I calculated it out and got k=21.3 N/m. My instructor gave me 2/3 points on this part. Why?
Do all values of the weight and length give the same value for k?
Dreamshot said:
In part B I set Uel equal to U. 1/2kx^2 = mgh. I used 1.5m as x, which was circled on my paper as wrong. What should I have used?
What does x represent?

1. What is Physics C Mech. 3 2008?

Physics C Mech. 3 2008 is an Advanced Placement (AP) course offered by the College Board that covers the principles of mechanics in physics. It is usually taken by high school students who have a strong foundation in calculus and physics.

2. What topics are covered in Physics C Mech. 3 2008?

The course covers topics such as kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work, energy, momentum, rotational motion, oscillations, and gravitation. It also includes calculus-based problem solving and laboratory work.

3. How is Physics C Mech. 3 2008 different from other physics courses?

Physics C Mech. 3 2008 is different from other physics courses in that it is an AP course, meaning it is designed to be equivalent to a college-level introductory physics course. It also focuses specifically on mechanics, while other physics courses may cover a broader range of topics.

4. What is the benefit of taking Physics C Mech. 3 2008?

Taking Physics C Mech. 3 2008 can provide students with a strong foundation in mechanics and prepare them for advanced physics courses in college. It can also potentially earn them college credit or advanced placement, depending on their score on the AP exam.

5. What resources are available for students who need help with Physics C Mech. 3 2008?

There are various resources available for students who need help with Physics C Mech. 3 2008. These include textbooks, online resources, study guides, practice problems, and tutoring services. It is also recommended to seek help from the course instructor or other knowledgeable individuals in the subject.