1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Calculation Write-up

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    This doesn't really go in the format for this section but I don't think it fits anywhere else...

Does anyone have examples of how they write up their solution to problems? I have one based around special relativity and I want to keep everything in a nice order so I wondered if anyone had anything a little more organised than my scribbles!

Mine is basically:

Diagram
    Known Values
    Equation
    Where x is... etc.
    Rearranging for x gives:
    Substituting the known values gives:
    Answer
    Summary: Therefore the value of x is... (? sf)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2
    Unless your prof explicitly states that he/she wants it in a specific format then it really doesn't matter. My assignments usually consist of:

Problem statement (what are we trying to find/prove and any diagrams)
    Relevant equations (sometimes numbered so I can refer back to them)
    math
    math
    math
    math
    math
    solution (Circled and with arrows to it so the TA knows what the final answer is)

Usually it doesn't follow any strict guidelines. I have never been docked marks for messiness.

Edit - I had one class where the prof explicitly stated that she wanted the final answer in a sentence and 'boxed' at the end. That was the only time I've ever been given 'guidance' towards how to format my assignments.

4. Mar 31, 2012 #3
    Thanks :) I haven't written relevant equations at the start before so I might just do that now to neaten things up :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook