Proving the Faster Basketball Pass Theory: Physics and Calculus Problem Help

• Thread starter Charles De Ga
  • Start date
In summary, the theory states that a chest level pass in basketball will reach its destination faster than a rebound pass, assuming the same initial force is applied and neglecting air resistance and friction. However, the actual distance and angle of the passes would need to be specified in order to determine which pass would be faster.
Charles De Ga

Homework Statement

Can someone help me to prove that scientifically my theory:

(Basketball)
The ball goes faster from point A to B if it doesn't touch the ground. That is to say, a pass at chess level is faster then a pass that rebounded one. (Always from point A to B with the same force applied)

Homework Equations

Which on is faster?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that my theory is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, why do you think that? That's the crucial point, isn't it?

What is the total length of the path the ball takes on its way from point A to point B? Is it the same length for a chest level pass and a rebound pass? If the lengths are are different and the speed of the ball the same, then one will travel from point a to point b in less time than the other.

The chest level pass goes from the chest level of a player to the chest level of another.

Yes, the paths are different (One ball hits the ground and the other one doesn't) but the distance are the same: From one player to another. The path for the chess level pass is shorter and the path for the rebound pass longer.

The values were not specified.

So which one will be faster?

Again, thanks for your precious help.

Charles De Ga said:

Homework Statement

(Basketball)
The ball goes faster from point A to B if it doesn't touch the ground. That is to say, a pass at chess level is faster then a pass that rebounded one. (Always from point A to B with the same force applied)

Homework Equations

Which on is faster?

Charles De Ga said:
The chest level pass goes from the chest level of a player to the chest level of another.

Yes, the paths are different (One ball hits the ground and the other one doesn't) but the distance are the same: From one player to another. The path for the chess level pass is shorter and the path for the rebound pass longer.

The values were not specified.

So which one will be faster?

Again, thanks for your precious help.

What is the context of the question? Is this for schoolwork, or for your basketball team?

Charles De Ga said:
The path for the chess level pass is shorter and the path for the rebound pass longer.
Well, that and some common sense should provide the answer. As was said:
doppleganger said:
If the lengths are are different and the speed of the ball the same, then one will travel from point a to point b in less time than the other.
("length" is referring to the to the path the ball travels)

I guarantee the path traveled by the ball during the bounce pass will be longer than the path traveled by the ball during a chest-chest pass. Draw a simple picture and define an arbitrary lenght. Do the math.

Thanks everybody.

I got confused and I thought that though the rebound pass had a longer path, it would be faster since the ball was accelerated by gravity.

Charles De Ga said:

Homework Statement

(Basketball)

Homework Equations

Which on is faster?

If you compare tossing the ball at speed s at an angle A up from the horizontal, vs. tossing it at speed s at the same angle A down from the horizontal, the first will be "chest-level" and the second a "rebound". In the absence of friction (air and bounce friction) both would arrive at the same time, because the horizontal speeds are the same. Gravity acts vertically, so does not affect how long it takes the ball to go a certain horizontal distance (again, this in the absence of friction and inelastic bounce of the ball).

RGV

Yes, neglecting friction, the horizontal speed of the ball is the same and the time of the two passes would be identical.

On the other hand, air resistance and friction when the ball hits the ground would be important and would make one pass take longer than the other. Which takes longer?

Ray Vickson said:
If you compare tossing the ball at speed s at an angle A up from the horizontal, vs. tossing it at speed s at the same angle A down from the horizontal, the first will be "chest-level" and the second a "rebound". In the absence of friction (air and bounce friction) both would arrive at the same time, because the horizontal speeds are the same. Gravity acts vertically, so does not affect how long it takes the ball to go a certain horizontal distance (again, this in the absence of friction and inelastic bounce of the ball).

RGV
However, the problem statement (as posted here) did not specify the angles that the two passes are thrown at.

I think we all reasonably assumed the speed was the same for both. Additionally, I was assuming that the chest-level pass was thrown closer to horizontally than was the bounce pass. Maybe my assumption was wrong.

1. What is the difference between physics and calculus?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world. Calculus, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It provides tools and techniques for solving problems involving rates of change, optimization, and motion.

2. How are physics and calculus related?

Physics and calculus are closely related because calculus provides the mathematical framework for understanding and describing the physical world. Many fundamental principles in physics, such as the laws of motion and thermodynamics, are described using calculus. In turn, physics also provides real-world applications and examples for the concepts and techniques in calculus.

3. How can calculus be used in physics?

Calculus is used in physics to describe the relationship between various physical quantities, such as position, velocity, acceleration, and force. It is also used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the velocity of an object at a specific time or determining the rate of heat transfer in a system. Additionally, calculus is used to derive and understand important laws and principles in physics, such as the laws of motion and the laws of thermodynamics.

4. What are some common types of physics problems that involve calculus?

Some common types of physics problems that involve calculus include problems involving motion (such as finding the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object), problems involving forces and energy (such as calculating work or determining the force required to move an object), and problems involving rates of change (such as finding the rate of heat transfer or the rate of change of a chemical reaction).

5. How can I improve my skills in solving physics/calculus problems?

To improve your skills in solving physics/calculus problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles in both subjects. You can also practice solving a variety of problems and seek help from teachers, tutors, or online resources. Additionally, developing good critical thinking and problem-solving skills can also be beneficial in approaching and solving complex problems in physics and calculus.