Physics. Can I just sit in on classes?

• Thread starter dshea
  • Start date
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
Nope. It's all unofficial so you won't get any credit but if you ever want to use the fact that you took the class and you did well enough, you can ask the professor for a letter of reference/recommendation.

Did you have a hard time asking permission from the professors, or were they pretty much open?

They were very open to it. Two emails, two acceptances, though I did know one of the professors already. If you want, you can PM me and I can send you the emails I sent them so that you can have a good idea of what to write about.

Note though that I'm going to go to Caltech classes which is in general a very trusting and academic environment, not to mention class sizes are minuscule compared to other universities. You may have more trouble convincing professors at other schools that are more like diploma mills than Caltech is or if they school is facing budget reductions (as far as I can tell, this is basically every public and most private universities). If you are trying to get into a class that also requires a lab, you can forget it because the labs are usually too expensive equipment wise to allow outside students.