Physics careers with Field Work

In summary, the conversation discusses different fields in physics that involve field work or outdoor work, such as marine and ocean physics, paleomagnetics, remote sensing, geophysics, medical physics, and astrophysics. The participants also mention specific techniques and methods used in these fields, such as applied spectroscopy and magnetotellurics. They also mention the locations where this field work takes place, including research sites all over the world and various telescopes and balloons used for data collection.
Oblio
Hey everybody,

I've been doing a little research, looking for jobs in physics with field work (or even are only field work / outdoors work).

The only thing I've come across so far is Marine and ocean Physics. Anyone else know of others?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Paleomagnetics?

http://www.engr.uconn.edu/~lanbo/G228Week5UseStrataView.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Field theory? :biggrin:

I can think of quite a few. At the moment there is e.g. a LOT of work going into remote sensing and related fields, mainly in research related to Earth observation/global warming.
As far as I understand it is most of work involves what I guess one could call applied spectroscopy and related fields.
Where I work now we actually have a buss loaded with equipment which is used by the remote sensing group to study airborne emissions etc all over the world (yes, they actually do bring the buss with them).

Dr Transport said:
geophysics...

One of the many geophysics techniques in use is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetotellurics" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Medical physics has a significant clinical component if that interests you at all. Although they tend to lock us underground.

I'm in astrophysics, and I do a lot of traveling to telescopes - Europe, South America, even tropical islands. A friend of mine in geophysics does a lot of field work on big boats in the pacific. And the atmospheric science people at my university are always heading out to the desert or Alaska to fly balloons.

1. What types of jobs involve field work in the field of physics?

There are several types of jobs that involve field work in physics, such as geophysicist, astrophysicist, atmospheric physicist, environmental physicist, and meteorologist. These jobs may involve conducting research, collecting data, and performing experiments in various outdoor settings.

2. What skills are important for a physics career with field work?

Some important skills for a physics career with field work include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and strong mathematical abilities. Additionally, good physical fitness, adaptability, and attention to detail are important for working in outdoor environments.

3. Do physics careers with field work require a specific degree or education?

Most physics careers with field work require at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, such as geology or environmental science. However, some positions may require a master's or doctoral degree, especially for more advanced research roles.

4. What are some potential employers for physics careers with field work?

Potential employers for physics careers with field work include government agencies, such as the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), as well as private companies in industries such as energy, aerospace, and environmental consulting.

5. What is a typical workday like for someone with a physics career involving field work?

A typical workday for someone with a physics career involving field work may vary depending on the specific job and location. However, it often involves conducting research and experiments in various outdoor environments, analyzing data, and collaborating with other scientists and researchers. This may also involve traveling to different locations for field work and working in a laboratory or office for data analysis and report writing.