1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Physics careers with Field Work

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1
    Hey everybody,

I've been doing a little research, looking for jobs in physics with field work (or even are only field work / outdoors work).

The only thing I've come across so far is Marine and ocean Physics. Anyone else know of others?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2
  4. Aug 5, 2008 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Field theory? :biggrin:

5. Aug 5, 2008 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can think of quite a few. At the moment there is e.g. a LOT of work going into remote sensing and related fields, mainly in research related to earth observation/global warming.
    As far as I understand it is most of work involves what I guess one could call applied spectroscopy and related fields.
    Where I work now we actually have a buss loaded with equipment which is used by the remote sensing group to study airborne emissions etc all over the world (yes, they actually do bring the buss with them).

6. Aug 5, 2008 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

geophysics......

7. Aug 5, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of the many geophysics techniques in use is magnetotellurics.

8. Aug 5, 2008 #7

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Medical physics has a significant clinical component if that interests you at all. Although they tend to lock us underground.

9. Aug 5, 2008 #8

eri

I'm in astrophysics, and I do a lot of traveling to telescopes - Europe, South America, even tropical islands. A friend of mine in geophysics does a lot of field work on big boats in the pacific. And the atmospheric science people at my university are always heading out to the desert or Alaska to fly balloons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?