1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics challenged

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    how serious is the challenge to physics to explain the causes behind every force that we know of?and is physics trying to get over its scientists differences of approaches in this regard?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you clarify your question? It can be read several ways. Scientists are always working to better explain the laws, but not sure what you mean by "causes behind the forces". For example, gravity is well explained by General Relativity.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    thank you dr chinese,i mean,the causes or the initiators ,the mother force if you like,that has caused the laws to exist?,the initial cause or determinent behing them,could these forces be relegated to a single creating force?if yes why and if no why is that.

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At this point, the standard model has 3 quantum forces (strong, weak, electromagnetic) plus general relativity (gravity). I don't see that there is much that really explains why the laws of physics are as they are, nor why there is something rather than nothing. Most of this is currently considered more or less as free parameters that could have conceivably have occurred another way.

6. Nov 16, 2009 #5
    I think you are talking about what Paul Davies calls "ultimate explanation". Why the universe formed and operates the way it does. And could it have been any different.

Watch this lecture series:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Nov 16, 2009 #6
    thanks freeman,is there any online resource for the ultimate explanation?

8. Nov 16, 2009 #7
    in a written form

9. Nov 16, 2009 #8
  10. Nov 16, 2009 #9
    The author mentions a Mother Force', and a 'Single Creating Force'.
    Interestedman, can you please be more specific with regard to what you are looking for? Do you want us to tell you that there may be a single, 'Almighty' force of some kind? A Force that "creates all things", perhaps?

11. Nov 17, 2009 #10
    dear anderson,thanks for the reply,i am not looking for one answer rather than another,i am only asking about the cause of the laws of physics,can you enlighten me with how physics is close to an explanation,that is all,thanks.:smile:

12. Nov 17, 2009 #11
    dear dr chinese,what do you mean "could have conceivably have occurred another way",thanks.

13. Nov 20, 2009 #12
    There is no underlying physical law that prevents them from being different to they way they are (i.e. they could have different strengths), that we know of that is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook