Physics/Chem: Dry Ice Expanding at 1 ATM - Push?

• Thread starter microfracture
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential force and pressure generated by dry ice (solid CO2) when rapidly heated and expanded. It is clarified that dry ice does not actually expand when heat is applied, but rather sublimates into a gas. The conversation also explores the possibility of using heat and lasers to rapidly heat the dry ice, but concludes that it would not be enough force to knock over a person.
microfracture
bare with me here, this is kind of a physics/chem question.

if you had a chunk of dry ice (solid co2) at one atm and heat it rapidly enough so it expanded, how hard of a "push" would it make? D:

Physics news on Phys.org
Push? What push? You mean how much pressure would it generate if enclosed?

Dry ice is at its sublimation point. It won't expand if you apply heat to it, it'll just sublimate.

Hi microfracture-
I think the vapor pressure of CO2 is about 70 atm at 30 degrees C. Above this temperature, the CO2 becomes a supercritical fluid.
See
http://encyclopedia.airliquide.com/images_encyclopedie/VaporPressureGraph/Carbon_dioxide_Vapor_Pressure.GIF
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
Push? What push? You mean how much pressure would it generate if enclosed?

Dry ice is at its sublimation point. It won't expand if you apply heat to it, it'll just sublimate.

let me refine the question while letting you know i have the following in mind: if you put dry ice in hot water it bubbles more violently then in cold water.

so the question is: if you could apply heat to the entire solid simultaneously therefore making it expand. would it be enough force to say knock over your buddy

hello micro-
If you put a pound of dry ice (about 10 mols) in a 1-liter bottle and heat it up, it will reach a pressure of perhaps 30 atm (1 mol = 22.41 liters at STP). If the bottle is not rated for that pressure, it will explode. I do not think there will be sufficient force unless the expanding CO2 gas is contained.
[Edit] As I write this, I am sitting 10 feet from a roughly 10-liter bottle containing 5 pounds of liquid/gas CO2 (fire extinguisher).
Bob S

Last edited:
microfracture said:
let me refine the question while letting you know i have the following in mind: if you put dry ice in hot water it bubbles more violently then in cold water.
Yes, if you apply heat faster, it will sublimate (turn from solid directly to a gas) faster.
so the question is: if you could apply heat to the entire solid simultaneously therefore making it expand. would it be enough force to say knock over your buddy
Well like I said, it doesn't expand when heat is applied.

russ_watters said:
Well like I said, it doesn't expand when heat is applied.

so it just goes "poof"?

then please explain why co2, when it sublimates, in a closed container creates pressure.

microfracture said:
please explain why co2, when it sublimates, in a closed container creates pressure.

pV=nRT

Russ is talking about the fact that if you heat the dry ice just enough to get it to sublimate that the pressure will remain constant. If, however, you continue to heat it, then you would increase the pressure up until the critical tmeperature, by approximately pV=nRT.

You might be able to knock down your buddy, by melting enough dry ice to fill a room with enough CO2 to render your "buddy" unconcious. Otherwise you'll need some sort of driver to convert the pressure into a force ie. a piston in a cylinder or something along those lines.

redargon said:
If, however, you continue to heat it, then you would increase the pressure up until the critical tmeperature, by approximately pV=nRT.

if you keep the volume constant, ie. a closed bottle. :blushing: (forgot to menton that... oops)

microfracture said:
When you put dry ice in hot water, a layer of gaseous CO2 separates and insulates the solid CO2 from the hot water, limiting the heat transfer rate. Thus the rate of sublimation is limited. The expansion rate will be fast, but not instantaneous.
Bob S

Bob S said:
When you put dry ice in hot water, a layer of gaseous CO2 separates and insulates the solid CO2 from the hot water, limiting the heat transfer rate. Thus the rate of sublimation is limited. The expansion rate will be fast, but not instantaneous.
Bob S

what if you use light, ie a laser to heat it. therefore having no physical heat sink to make the process slow.

microfracture said:

No, not unless you threw a block of the ice at him or let it melt in a big enough closed container to invoke an explosion from the pressure build up as it melts. Sticking a piece of dry ice in front of your buddy and heating up, even with lasers attached to sharks heads (or wild sea bass), is not going to knock him over.

1. What is dry ice and how does it expand at 1 ATM?

Dry ice, also known as solid carbon dioxide, is a frozen form of carbon dioxide gas. At 1 ATM (atmospheric pressure), dry ice expands from a solid into a gas through a process called sublimation. This means that it skips the liquid phase and transforms directly from a solid into a gas.

2. Why does dry ice expand at 1 ATM?

Dry ice expands at 1 ATM because of the law of ideal gas. This law states that at a constant temperature, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its pressure. So, as the atmospheric pressure increases, the volume of dry ice also increases, causing it to expand.

3. How much does dry ice expand at 1 ATM?

At 1 ATM, dry ice expands by approximately 800 times its original volume. For example, 1 pound of dry ice will expand to about 800 cubic inches of gas when it sublimates.

4. Is it safe to push on dry ice as it expands at 1 ATM?

No, it is not safe to push on dry ice as it expands at 1 ATM. Dry ice is extremely cold (-109.3°F) and can cause frostbite if handled without proper protection. Additionally, pushing on dry ice can cause it to break into small pieces, which can be hazardous if they come into contact with skin or eyes.

5. What are some common uses for dry ice expanding at 1 ATM?

Dry ice expanding at 1 ATM has a variety of uses, including creating fog effects for special effects in movies and plays, preserving food during shipping, and performing experiments in a laboratory setting. It is also commonly used for cooling and freezing items, such as ice cream or vaccines.