Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Christmas gifts

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1

Jow

My cousin, like me, is interested in physics. She, also like me, aspires to become a physicist. For Christmas she wanted a telescope, unfortunately, the one she wanted was $2000, and her mother was not willing to buy her something so expensive as they had just recently returned from a very expensive vacation. Anyway, her mother has come to me asking what she should get her daughter. I have already recommended a copy of the Feynman Lectures but other than that I couldn't think of anything else. What would you give someone like me or my cousin?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2
  4. Nov 6, 2012 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(how old is she?)

i don't buy this

if she asked for a telescope, she isn't interested in physics, she's interested in looking at the stars (etc)

i can't see anything non-star-related satisfying her

i say, buy her a really cheap telescope and a really good camera that she can attach, and encourage her to take up photography! :smile:

5. Nov 6, 2012 #4
    I'm interested in looking at stars, and I'm interested in physics. You can be interested in both.

Or maybe she's a genius and she likes to personally calculate different characteristics about the orbits of planets.

6. Nov 6, 2012 #5
    I'm the same. I was drawn to physics because I wanted to be an astronomer as a kid, and while I'm now more interested in nuclear and particle physics, I still can't help but look up at night, take trips to observatories, etc.

7. Nov 6, 2012 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

OP either has more context than us and she is interested in physics, or OP is generalizing star-gazing as an interest in physics. Hard to tell from OP.

I'm looking for something to get my 3 year old that's not a meaningless plastic toy. Could augment her duplo lego collection....

8. Nov 6, 2012 #7
    How about a TI-89?

9. Nov 6, 2012 #8

Jow

She has one

10. Nov 6, 2012 #9

Jow

if she asked for a telescope, she isn't interested in physics, she's interested in looking at the stars (etc)

My Grandmother's nephew wanted to be an astronomer when he was young, now he is a physicist...

11. Nov 6, 2012 #10
    :biggrin::blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook