Gift Ideas for Physics Lovers - My Cousin & Me

In summary, my cousin, like me, is interested in physics. She, also like me, aspires to become a physicist. For Christmas, she wanted a telescope, but her mother was not willing to buy her something so expensive. I have already recommended a copy of the Feynman lectures, but other than that I couldn't think of anything else. What would you give someone like me or my cousin?
Jow
My cousin, like me, is interested in physics. She, also like me, aspires to become a physicist. For Christmas she wanted a telescope, unfortunately, the one she wanted was $2000, and her mother was not willing to buy her something so expensive as they had just recently returned from a very expensive vacation. Anyway, her mother has come to me asking what she should get her daughter. I have already recommended a copy of the Feynman Lectures but other than that I couldn't think of anything else. What would you give someone like me or my cousin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is she nerdy in general? I would love a lot of things from http://www.thinkgeek.com/ or Innovatoys.

Jow said:
… For Christmas she wanted a telescope, unfortunately, the one she wanted was $2000 …

(how old is she?)

i don't buy this

if she asked for a telescope, she isn't interested in physics, she's interested in looking at the stars (etc)

i can't see anything non-star-related satisfying her

i say, buy her a really cheap telescope and a really good camera that she can attach, and encourage her to take up photography! :smile:

if she asked for a telescope, she isn't interested in physics, she's interested in looking at the stars
I'm interested in looking at stars, and I'm interested in physics. You can be interested in both.

Or maybe she's a genius and she likes to personally calculate different characteristics about the orbits of planets.

leroyjenkens said:
I'm interested in looking at stars, and I'm interested in physics. You can be interested in both.

I'm the same. I was drawn to physics because I wanted to be an astronomer as a kid, and while I'm now more interested in nuclear and particle physics, I still can't help but look up at night, take trips to observatories, etc.

OP either has more context than us and she is interested in physics, or OP is generalizing star-gazing as an interest in physics. Hard to tell from OP.

I'm looking for something to get my 3 year old that's not a meaningless plastic toy. Could augment her duplo lego collection...

How about a TI-89?

Topher925 said:
How about a TI-89?

She has one

if she asked for a telescope, she isn't interested in physics, she's interested in looking at the stars (etc)

My Grandmother's nephew wanted to be an astronomer when he was young, now he is a physicist...

seaofghosts said:
I'm the same. I was drawn to physics because I wanted to be an astronomer as a kid, and while I'm now more interested in nuclear and particle physics, I still can't help but look up at night, take trips to observatories, etc.

:biggrin::blushing:

1. What types of gifts are available for physics lovers?

There are a variety of gifts available for physics lovers, including books about physics, physics-themed clothing and accessories, physics experiment kits, and novelty items such as physics-themed mugs and posters.

2. Are there any specific gift ideas for someone who is studying physics in college?

Yes, there are many gift ideas for college students studying physics, such as a high-quality calculator, a physics textbook, or a subscription to a science magazine. You could also consider giving them a gift card to a bookstore or a coffee shop to help with their studies.

3. Can you recommend any unique gift ideas for a physics lover?

Some unique gift ideas for a physics lover could include a DIY science project kit, a personalized physics-themed piece of jewelry, or a set of physics-inspired board games. You could also consider giving them a ticket to a science museum or a science-themed escape room experience.

4. I am not familiar with physics. What are some safe gift options for someone who loves physics?

If you are not familiar with physics, some safe gift options could include popular science books that are written for a general audience, a physics-themed puzzle or game, or a gift card to a science-themed store or website. You could also ask the person for specific recommendations to ensure you get them a gift they will enjoy.

5. How can I make the gift more personal for my cousin who loves physics?

To make the gift more personal, you could consider getting them a gift that relates to their specific interests within physics. For example, if they are interested in astrophysics, you could get them a book about space exploration or a telescope. You could also consider adding a handwritten note or a personalized message to the gift to make it more meaningful.