Why aren't physics classes as exciting as Landau's books?

In summary, the physics classes are perceived as boring because they repeat previously learned material and do not immediately delve into more interesting topics. It is possible that the coursework is designed for students with a weaker understanding of the fundamentals. However, this may also make tests and assignments easier. The professor suggests that the classes may become more engaging once everyone is caught up to the same level. Additionally, while Landau's books are generally well-regarded, they may not be significantly different from other texts, especially in the case of quantum mechanics.
Physics_Loverss
why are the physics classes so boring?
I am taking some upper devision EM,QM classes. they just keep repeating everything I have learned in the previous few years.
can't they jump straight to the fun part like in Landau?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
There is no way to tell why you find your classes boring - you indicate that they are repetitive, but I am sure you find other repetitive activities interesting. It is likely that the coursework is designed for students other than you, who may have a shakier grasp of the foundations.
You should be finding tests and assignments easy - which is a bonus.
If you have just started out - you'll probably find they get into the fun stuff once they are sure everyone is on the same page.

My prof told me that Landau's every books is good, except quantum mechanics - it is nothing really outstanding from other text. (Personally I have only read Landau's mechanics.)

1. Why are physics classes often considered boring?

Physics classes can be perceived as boring because they can involve complex mathematical equations and abstract concepts that may be difficult for some students to understand. Additionally, the focus on theory and experimentation may not be as engaging as other subjects.

2. How can I make physics classes more interesting?

One way to make physics classes more interesting is to relate the concepts to real-world examples and applications. This can help students see the relevance and practicality of what they are learning. Additionally, incorporating interactive activities and demonstrations can make the class more engaging.

3. Can physics classes be made more fun?

While physics may not be traditionally considered a "fun" subject, there are ways to make the class more enjoyable. Finding a passionate and engaging teacher, incorporating hands-on experiments, and incorporating multimedia resources such as videos and simulations can make the class more enjoyable.

4. How can I stay engaged during a physics class?

To stay engaged during a physics class, it can be helpful to actively participate by asking questions, taking notes, and completing practice problems. It can also be beneficial to study and review material outside of class to better understand the concepts being taught.

5. Are there any benefits to taking physics classes?

Yes, there are many benefits to taking physics classes. It can help develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a deeper understanding of the world around us. Additionally, it is a foundational subject for many STEM fields and can open up career opportunities in various industries.