Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Physics Classic Egg Drop

Tags:
  1. Aug 26, 2006 #1
    Ok here's the thing: I have the classic egg drop project, but am not sure how to get it to work, so here are the requirements/details:
    The egg is a gresh, raw, grade "A" egg,
    Egg cannot be completely encased within another material besides a zip-lock bag.
    Device the egg is in can't exceed the dimensions of 2.75 in x 2.75 in x 2.75 in.
    Egg/parachute must stay in the air for at least 6 seconds, and land completely intact on the ground.
    The height of the drop is 5 - 5 1/2 meters.
    It must have some kind of parachute, and something to hold the egg.
    P.S. Please help me soon, because it is due w/in the next week, but I really need some help with ideas and most of the work done w/in the next 2 days.
    I originally thought a plastic bag would make a good parachute, but it was not airborne long enough. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2006 #2
    For a parachute, use one of those huge black trash bags.

Cut a nearly perfect circle in it and then attach something like... 8 strings on the ends...

4. Aug 26, 2006 #3
    The trash bag idea, how are u supposed to attach the bag to it; do u mean on the outside of it or the inside of the parachute?

5. Aug 26, 2006 #4
    You have to try a few things out, physics=cool, that's really the idea of this sort of thing. It's fun. And it's fun looking up what other people have done and seeing if you can do better. PS: If you end up with a parachute try cutting a modest hole in the centre, it makes it nice and stable. PPS: Try cellotape for attaching your thread to the plastic.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q="egg+drop+project"&meta=

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook