1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Club

1. Aug 21, 2009 #1
    I go to a state school with a small physics program we are in a little trouble due to low physics students enrollment. That is just a little back story I find myself in the position of the president of the physics club. Not a huge accomplishment there are only three of us. I was hoping a few people here might have some advice for activities or events we could do with community college/high school students to drum up some excitement for physics. Maybe interest them in joining us in a 4 year program ? . Maybe, just something we could do for fun?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2009 #2

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Have someone speak about something (maybe invite some professor over for a talk).

Do some problem sets.

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3
    Leverage your Club Adviser for some ideas. Most clubs have an adviser that is also a professor. They may have some ideas.

Also are you registered with SPS? http://www.spsnational.org/ They would probably have some ideas or support documents.

5. Aug 23, 2009 #4
    Rockets, everyone loves rockets, or work with a school to build a home made radio telescope and do a scan or three? The local HAM club could possibly be interested too (and provide stuff).

6. Aug 23, 2009 #5
    open a physics study session/tutor => more club members.

everybody needs help with physics ;)

7. Aug 23, 2009 #6
    The physics club at my school doesn't do much but sit around and eat sandwiches but sometimes they have events like catapult building. Basically, divide a bunch of people up into teams, give them some popsicle sticks, string, and glue to build a catapult with. The team that can launch an object the farthest wins a lame prize.

8. Aug 23, 2009 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You may wish to check this existing thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=323897

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook