1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Collision Problem

1. Oct 19, 2004 #1
    A 0.165 kg projectile is fired with a velocity of +705 m/s at a 2.00 kg wooden block that rests on a frictionless table. The velocity of the block, immediately after the projectile passes through it, is +55.0 m/s. Find the velocity with which the projectile exits from the block.

I used the equation vf1=(m1-m2)/(m1+m2) but I got the wrong answer. Can you please help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2004 #2
    Conservation of momentum is the answer.

Before the impact, the total momentum is:

0.165 * 705 + 0 * 0 kg m/s (bullet + wood)

After the impact, the total momentum is (vp is the bullet residual velocity):

0.165 * vp + 2 * 55 kg m/s (bullet + wood)

Since momentum is conserved, these two momentum should be equal:

0.165 * 705 + 0 * 0 = 0.165 * vp + 2 * 55

You can solve this equation for vp and get the result.

You can check that the bullet final velocity is 38.33 m/s (right ?) since:

0.165 * 705 + 0 * 0 = 0.165 * 38.33 + 2 * 55

(hint: never apply an equation, apply the principles)

4. Jul 27, 2011 #3
    Try using law of conservation of momentum i.e.

mv1+MV1=mv2+MV2
    By using it we get velocity of projectile as 38.33

5. Jul 27, 2011 #4

xts

First of all:
    Forum Rules: Do not post your homework/school-type questions here!

So here you may got a common sense physics answer rather than a solution to most unrealistic school excercise:
    1. there is no such thing as 'frictionless table';
    2. "0.165 kg projectile is fired with a velocity of 705 m/s" means you deal with a bullet of heaviest (20mm) machine gun;
    3. have you ever seen a wooden plank hit by a rifle bullet? So try to imagine what may remain after being hit by 20mm bullet, then try to count the splinters and estimate momentum carried by them; If you haven't seen - watch Discovery Channel military programmes ;)
    4. If you listen to answers like "velocity of projectile as 38.33" try to picture it - the bullet 'passes through it...exits from the block' at the speed lower than block has itself.

EDITED>>>
    Sorry - I've underestimated caliber. Heaviest 20mm bullets have only 0.11 kg.
    0.165kg may be an armour-piercing bullet for 25mm cannons, used in assault helicopters. Their typical muzzle velocity is 720m/s.
    So now picture yourself a wooden block hit by such bullet...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?